Hikes and treks are some of the best ways to explore a place. But, not everybody has weeks to spend trekking in Nepal. For such trekkers who are under strict time duration, 1-day treks in Nepal are the best options.
These treks offer you a day of excitement and a variety of experiences. You will also get to view different sceneries along the trek.
These hikes include leisure walks in and around the valley or other regions of Nepal. It is perfect for those who are looking for a quick and short escape to the clean, natural fresh air away from the hustle bustle of the city.
These easy day hikes are doable and suitable for families, beginners, and novice hikers.
- Popular 1 Day Treks in Kathmandu
- Popular 1 Day Treks in Pokhara
- Alternatives for 1 Day Treks in Nepal
- Extra Information on 1 Day Treks in Nepal
- Final Say,
Popular 1 Day Treks in Kathmandu
Highest Elevation: Champadevi Temple- 2285m
Duration: 16 km drive and 3-4 hrs hike
This hike takes you through the pine forest areas near Kathmandu valley. It offers a visit to the Hindu shrine and a Buddhist stupa. It also offers good views of Kathmandu Valley and mountain peaks.
- Dakshinkali and Champadevi Temple
- Majestic panoramic views of mountain peaks. On clear days, you can see Mt. Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, Manaslu, Ganesh Himal, Langtang Himal, Jugal Himal, and Gaurishanker mountain range.
Highest Elevation: 2563m
Duration: 2-3 hrs drive and 3-5 hrs hike
Shivapuri National Park is closest to the Capital City. It lies on the 2nd highest hill near Kathmandu valley. You will pass through the beautiful park with its wide variety of flora and fauna during the hike.
- Baghdwar: The stone spout with a tiger. This is the source of the holy Bagmati river.
- Budhanilkantha Temple: Home to a remarkable colossal statue of Lord Vishnu, reclining on a bed of snake. This stone sculptures of the Lichchhavi period dates back to the 5th century.
- Shivapuri Conservation Area: Home to diverse flora and fauna
- Nagi Gumpa: A nunnery situated at an altitude of 2330 m north of Kathmandu. You can also visit and explore the nunnery. The nunnery is also famous as a meditation center.
- Kapan Monastery
Hike to Nagarjuna Hill
Highest Elevation: 1950m
Duration: Half-1 hr drive and 3-4 Hrs Hike
This short and easy hike takes you to Nagarjuna Hill. Associated with many Hindu and Buddhist legends, this hill lies north-west of Kathmandu Valley.
- Nagarjuna’s cave along with other caves used by Buddha and Mahasiddhas.
- Good views of Kathmandu valley and mountain ranges.
- Small Buddhist stupa which was featured as the cover photo of Lonely planet Nepal- 2007 edition.
- Thick woods of rhododendron, oaks, and pines
Highest Elevation: 1950m
Duration: 1.5 Hrs drive and 2-3 Hrs hike
This hike gives you a glimpse of the rich and diverse culture of Nepal. On clear days, you also get a glimpse of the magnificent mountain views that a trek in Nepal offers.
- Ancient towns of Panauti, Dhapasi, Dhulikhel
- Namoboudha Hill: Home to Thrangu Monastery, ancient temples, and caves. Associated with legends, both the temple and caves are pilgrimage sites for Hindus and Buddhists.
- Glorious views of the neighboring towns, hills, and mountain peaks on clear days.
Hike to Phulchowki
Highest Elevation: Pulchowki Danda- 2829m
Duration: 40min drive and 4-6 hrs Hike
Phulchowki Danda (Hill) is the highest hill of Kathmandu Valley. You begin the hike there through the beautiful vegetation around Kathmandu Valley. This hike is easy and rich in beautiful sceneries.
- Godavari Botanical Garden: Offers diverse flora and a great place for bird watching.
- Dense sub – Tropical forest
- Beautiful view of eastern part of Annapurna range, Mt. Gaurishanker.
- Great view of Kathmandu valley
Nagarkot-Changu Narayan Hike
Highest Elevation: 1975m
Duration: 1.5 hrs drive and 4-5 Hrs Hike
This hike takes you to Nagarkot. Nagarkot is the most famous hill station in Kathmandu Valley. Hence, it is popular among both domestic and international tourists. This hill provides magnificent views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Views of mountain peaks like Ganesh Himal, Langtang, Gang Chenpo, Dorje Lakpa, and Purbi Chyachu. Also views of Mt. Gauri Shankar and even Mt. Everest.
- Bhaktapur: One of the most well preserved, traditional and cultural districts of Kathmandu Valley.
- Changu Narayan: Oldest Temple of Kathmandu valley dating back to 7th century. Also, listed on the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Amazing sunrise and sunset views over the mountains.
Sankhu to Bajrayogini Hike
Highest Elevation: Bajrayogini temple
Duration: 1 Hrs drive, 30 minutes hike
You start the actual hike from Sankhu- the prehistoric town particularly famous for its shape. This town is Sankha-shaped or conch-shaped. You will walk through beautiful villages and around the Sali Riverbank.
- Bajrayogini Temple and the Siddha Caves.
- Unspoiled and beautiful hills, forests, villages, and towns.
Amitabha Monastery (Seto Gompa) Hike
Highest Elevation: Seto Gompa- 1500m
Duration: 15-30 mins. drive, 4-5 hrs. hike
This hike takes you the beautiful and peaceful Amitabha Monastery. It is also known as Seto or White Gumba. Your hike begins from Swoyambhu- the monkey temple.
- White Monastery: Has rich architecture, colorful statues, and beautiful paintings (Thangkas).
- Beautiful sunrise and sunset views
- Beautiful views of Kathmandu valley and some mountain peaks.
- Peaceful atmosphere
Popular 1 Day Treks in Pokhara
If you wish to indulge in day hikes in Pokhara, the following options are for you:
Sarangkot Day Hike
Highest Elevation: Sarangkot- 1700m
Duration: Half hour drive and 1-3 hour hike
This hike takes you to the beautiful village of Sarangkot. It is a popular and beautiful place for mountain and sunrise views.
- Panoramic views of Annapurna, Manaslu, Ganesh Himal, Dhaulagiri, and Machhapuchare. Along with these, you can view 25 other mountain peaks over 6000 m.
- Views of the Pokhara Valley, Fewa Lake with all its natural beauty.
- Amazing sunrise view over the Himalayas.
Naudanda Day Hike
Highest Elevation: Naudanda- 1540m
This hike takes you to some of the best scenic trails of rural Nepal within a day.
It offers a chance to explore this part of Nepal along with beautiful mountain views.
- Fantastic views of mountain peaks like Annapurna, Machhapuchchhre, and Dhaulagiri.
- Beautiful views of Phewa Lake and Pokhara valley.
- You can also view people participating in Paragliding.
- Terrace farmland.
Dhampus Day Hike
Highest Elevation: Australian Camp- 1880m
This short hike takes you to Australian camp via beautiful villages and sceneries.
- Splendid views of the Annapurna range and other mountain peaks like Ganesh Himal.
- Amazing sunrise views
- Beautiful villages of Pothana, Dhampus
- Lush, green forests and terrace farms.
- A peek at old Nepali architecture and lifestyle in the villages
World Peace Stupa Day Hike
Highest Elevation: World Peace Stupa- 1350m
Duration: 3-4 Hrs Day hike, 20-40 min. boat ride
This hike begins with a beautiful boat ride in Fewa Lake. It takes you to the beautiful stupa, a perfect place with clear and great views.
- Clear view of the Himalayan range, Fewa Lake and Pokhara city.
- Amazing sunrise and sunset views.
- World Peace Stupa: Constructed by Japanese Buddhist monks to promote world peace.
Alternatives for 1 Day Treks in Nepal
If you decide these day hikes are not for you, there are other things you can do.
Kathmandu City Tour
This tour takes you to the three districts of Kathmandu Valley. These are Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, and Lalitpur.
During the tour, you will visit some of the famous destinations of the valley. Some of the most popular ones are Basantapur Durbar Square, Swoyambhunath, and Pashupatinath.
- Pashupatinath: Visit funeral points and many Artistic temples of the temple complex. You can also have your fortune told by one of the pandits.
- Swoyambhunath: Beautiful temples, monkeys, and panoramic views of Kathmandu valley. On clear days, you can also see mountains.
- Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, and Patan Durbar square: These were ancient homes/palaces of the old kings and queens of the valley. Home to also many beautiful temples and museums. Also, the perfect place to try some local food. You can try Dal-bhat-tarkari, Mo: mo, Choila, Yomari, among others.
Mountain Flights: You can enjoy aerial views of mountain peaks along with the surrounding hills, villages, and cities. Nepal offers some of the most magical mountain flights views in the world.
Paragliding: This extreme sport offers excitement and thrill to your day in Nepal. Along with this, it offers magnificent views of the mountains, rivers, lakes, surrounding hills and city.
You can also opt for Tandem paragliding which involves less risk. It also saves you the time and effort to learn how to paraglide.
Extra Information on 1 Day Treks in Nepal
- Nagarjuna hill is also famous for rock climbing and bird watching. During your hike, you can also enjoy these activities.
- Both Sarangkot and Dhampus are great start-points for Paragliding in Nepal. During the hike, you can choose to do it.
- You can do these hikes solo, in groups, and with or without guides.
- The range in duration is due to the difference in start and end points. It is also due to the length of rest stops or breaks you can enjoy. You can choose to lengthen or shorten your actual walking duration for these hikes.
- The difference in costs is due to the inclusion, exclusion of different factors. These can include transportation, meals and drinks, guide, park entry fees, vat.
- These hikes are near the big cities of Nepal. All of them are accessible by road. You can take local buses, hire vehicles to and from the start and end points of the hikes.
- You can also create your own itinerary for any of these day hikes. You can choose your own start and end time along with rest stops, meal stops, and others.
- Pack only the basic essentials for a day hike. These hikes do not require extensive equipment, gear or trekking supplies.
- You should adjust your packing essentials according to the weather conditions you hike.
- Be sure to check the weather conditions for the day of your hike. This ensures you pack right as well as prepares you for any changes.
- All these are doable throughout the year. Yet, the best time to do these hikes are from Mid-September to May. These offer dry, clear days with amazing visibility.
- Most of these hikes have local restaurants, cafes along the trail. These offer basic local Nepali meals and drinks along with other popular options.
- Most of the trails take you through uneven, rocky terrain. All these hikes involve both uphill and downhill walks along with some steep slopes. Some may include uneven and rocky stairs as well. For people with weak knees, you can bring trekking poles or walking sticks. These come in handy during the descents.
- You do not need any physical training or fitness levels to any of these hikes. Yet, the fitter you are, more comfortable the hike.
For those looking for hikes without any overnight stays, these 1 day treks in Nepal are ideal. These offer a short introduction to the diverse variation in culture and landscape of Nepal.
These leisure walks and hike in and around the cities are perfect for people who want a feel for treks in Nepal in a limited period of time. If you have any further queries or questions about the 1-day hikes in Nepal, feel free to contact us.
You can also contact us to create your own personalized day hikes or tours in Nepal.