Nepal has good hiking options regardless of the number of days you wish you to do a trek. It is true for those who can spare only 2 days as well.
There are a number of options in the Himalayan region and the rims of the cities for 2-Day treks in Nepal.
These two-day treks are a wonderful chance to see the beautiful nature, landscape, and hospitality of the locals of Nepal. These are a kid and family-friendly treks that do not demand much of physical fitness and earlier trekking experiences.
On these treks, you will walk in the lower altitudes with the bearable temperature and weather conditions. Along with the easy trails, these short treks best fulfill your desire to catch the stunning mountain views and the amazing landscapes.
Popular Options for 2-Day Treks in Nepal
This trek offers everything that a trek to Nepal includes. You get fabulous views of mountain peaks. You also get a cultural experience with visits to beautiful, quaint villages and temples.
- Beautiful hill stations of Dhulikhel and Nagarkot
- Exquisite views of the Eastern Himalayas that includes the world’s highest peak, Mt. Everest. You can see other high mountain peaks on this trek like Langtang, Ganesh Himal, and Annapurna.
- Amazing sunrise and sunset views over the Himalayas. Changunarayan Temple- a sacred shrine for Hindus. This Ancient temple is a spectacular monument with rich architecture and history.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 01- Drive to Dhulikhel (1,550m), trek to Nagarkot (2,175m) (5-6 Hrs Trek and 1.5-2 Hrs drive)
Day 02- Trek Changunarayan (1,500m) and drive back to Kathmandu (1,400m). You stop for lunch or breakfast in Bhaktapur (1,401m). You can also take part in a sightseeing tour here. (3 hours hike and 1-hour drive)
Sarangkot Dhampus Trek
This 2-day trek starts and ends in Pokhara- the city of Lakes. On this trek, you pass through 3 of the most popular vantage points in Pokhara- Sarangkot, Dhampus, and Naudanda. You also pass through Gurung settlements of Damai and Dhampus.
- Amazing sunrise and sunset views from Sarankot
- Amazing views of mountains like Mt. Machhapuchhre, Annapurna South, Dhaulagiri, Hiunchuli, Lamjung.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 01: Pokhara to Sarangkot (1600m) via Bagar (1 Hr. drive and 4 hrs trek)
Day 02: Sarangkot to Dhampus (5 hrs. trek and 1 hr. drive)
Dhulikhel – Namobudhha – Panauti Trek
This easy trek takes you to 3 different places. With a mixture of Nepali countryside, you also get a glimpse into the rich and ancient culture of Nepal.
- The beautiful settlements of Dhulikhel and Panauti
- Namobuddha: A pilgrimage sites for Buddhists and Hindus filled with legends
- Thrangu Tashi Yangtse Monastery: Spread over the hill, it is a beautiful monastery which is home to numerous intricate idols and thangkas.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 01: Drive to Dhulikhel and trek to Namobuddha (1767m) (1.5-2 hrs. drive and 4-5 hrs. trek)
Day 02: Namobuddha trek to Panauti then drive to Kathmandu (3 hrs trek and 1.5- 2 hrs. drive)
This beautiful hike offers beautiful views of flora, fauna, and mountain peaks. You also have options for homestays on this trek. This gives you an insight into the local culture and lifestyle.
- Gorgeous views of mountain peaks like Annapurna, Hiunchuli, and Machapuchare.
- Dense forests of rhododendrons and terrace fields
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 01: Drive from Pokhara to Nayapul (1070m) and trek to Ghandruk (2012m) (Half an hour drive and 3-5 hrs trek)
Day 02: Trek back to Nayapul and drive to Pokhara (1400m) (Half an hour drive and 3-5 hrs trek)
Sarangkot Australian Camp Trek
This trek has 3 major attractions- Sarangkot Hill, Australian Camp and the village of Dhampus.
You start your trek after breakfast in Sarangkot Hill.
- One of the best sunrise and sunset views around Pokhara
- Beautiful mountain peak views of the Annapurna range, Dhaulagiri range, Machhapuchhre.
- Views of green hills, terraces, and Pokhara valley.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 01: Pokhara-Sarangkot-Australian Camp (2055m) (5-6 hrs. trek and 30 mins. drive)
Day 02: Australian Camp-Dhampus (1650m) -Phedi-Pokhara (2-3 hrs. trek and 30 mins. drive)
Accommodation Options During 2-Day Treks in Nepal
Most of the 2-day treks in Nepal are near the big cities like Kathmandu and Pokhara.
The choices of accommodation can vary depending upon the remoteness of the trek. Yet, most will have choices of basic accommodation along with 3-4 star hotels and resorts.
Some of the routes also include choices of homestays. In these, you stay at local houses with families.
The basic accommodation provides basic rooms on a twin sharing basis. These rooms have a bed, mattress, pillow, blanket. Most of the rooms also have attached bathrooms with both hot and cold shower. You can ask for extra blankets if you do need them.
Some of the fancier accommodation choices have more facilities. Some come with their own spas, game rooms, swimming pool, gym, and others.
Meals and Drinks During 2-Day Treks in Nepal
Like accommodation, the choices of meals and drinks vary.
You will find choices of Nepali, continental, Italian, Chinese cuisine on some of the popular 2-day treks. While some of the remoter destinations will have fewer choices.
Trying the local cuisines do give you a taste of the local choices in their meals, staples. Some must-try local dishes during your visit to Nepal are Dal-Bhat-Tarkari, Nepali bread with curry, tea, mo: mo.
For drinks, the choices may include Tea, Coffee, hot and cold flavored drinks, soft drinks among others.
Best Time for 2 Day Treks in Nepal
As these short and easy treks are in the lower altitudes near the cities, the best time to do these treks are the local spring, autumn, and winter season.
Spring: March-May is the local spring months in Nepal. During these months, you can enjoy the views of lush green valleys, vegetation, and forest. You can also see the blooms of local flora. It is also a great time to spot the wildlife of the region.
Along with these, the temperatures are moderate with dry, clear and warm days. This allows for great visibility of the clear blue skies, mountain peaks, and the surrounding hills.
Autumn: The local autumn months are from September-November. These have beautiful weather with moderate temperatures. The visibility of the regions is amazing during this time. It is also the time of the biggest festivals in Nepal.
Winter: For these 2-day treks, winter is also a great season. Unlike the higher altitudes, the lower elevation sees cool and not freezing temperatures. You can enjoy your walk in cool temperatures of 8-12 degrees Celsius.
Unlike the other two seasons, this season sees fewer visitors. You may have the trails and nature to yourself. You can enjoy the perks of the full attention of the hotels along with some discounts or complimentary services.
Summer: This is one of the least favorite seasons to do the 2-day treks in Nepal. The lower regions see torrential rainfall. The trails will be muddy, slippery with the risk of mudslides and landslides.
Along with these, there are high chances of infestations of insects like mosquitoes, leeches, flies, among others.
Yet if these do not deter you, then it can also be one of the most beautiful times to do the trek. Everything in nature will be in their best form. The rivers, streams, waterfalls will be full and alive along with the vibrant and luscious forests. You may also get clear days with great views of the Himalayas. You may also spot the occasional and colorful rainbow.
Cost of 2-Day Treks in Nepal
There are many factors that determine the total cost for your trek. Most tour and trek operators charge around US$75-100 for a 2-day trek in Nepal.
This range is due to the inclusion or exclusion of the following cost.
- Meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- Transportation (To and from the start and end points of the actual Trek)
- Transportation (To and from Kathmandu- For some treks this may be the same as the above)
- Entrance Fees (Permits needed or National Park Entry Fee)
- Accommodation (3-5 star Hotels or homestays)
- Guide (A professional, licensed guide)
Alternatives for 2-Day Treks in Nepal
If you do decide that the 2-day treks are not for you, there are still options for adventurous outdoor activities. These are some popular 2-day trips in Nepal that you can do besides the treks:
Nepal is famous for its white water river rafting. It is the 2nd richest in freshwater rivers in the world.
With the abundant choices in rivers, there are also rafting available for beginners to the experienced.
An ideal 2-day rafting trip in Nepal is the Trishuli rafting. Only 3 hours from Kathmandu, this exciting river has glorious views of the surrounding nature along with the white water fun.
- Big bouncy waves along with the striking waters at the river.
- Views of the beautiful forest, gorgeous surroundings and wildlife.
Itinerary at a Glance
Day01: Drive from Kathmandu to Trishuli (3-4 Hrs. drive and 4 hours rafting)
Day 02: Continue rafting and drive back to Kathmandu (2-3 hrs. rafting and 3-4 hrs. drive)
You can also choose any of the available Nepal tours and customize it to 2 days. For this and more, you can contact us.
Means of Transportation for 2-Day Treks in Nepal
You can choose different modes of transportation to reach the start and end points of your 2-day treks in Nepal. Most of the tour packages arrange this for you.
Some of the available modes of transportation are:
Jeeps, Vans, Tourist Buses: If you are trekking in groups, this is a great choice. You can rent this and divide the total cost among the group members. This way, it is cheaper as well as you can travel in comfort.
Public Buses or vans: If you want to travel in the way the locals do, then this is the way to do it. This is the cheapest mode of transportation. It offers the most authentic travel experience as well.
Packing Essential for 2-Day Treks in Nepal
The time you choose to do the trek along with its weather conditions will dictate much of what you should pack. Yet, the general guideline for your 2-day treks in Nepal is as follows:
- Long trousers or shorts (Depending on the weather you trek)
- Full or half sleeve tops
- Outer (shell) layer: A jacket or coat (heavy or light, waterproof or not depends on the weather).
- Extra socks
- Hat and gloves (if you choose winter for these treks)
- Change of innerwear (Optional)
- Backpack with cover (will keep your belongings dry and clean)
- Snacks (great for motivation and energy boosting)
- Reusable water bottle
- Bandana (to protect from the dust in the paths near the cities)
- Toilet paper and hand sanitizer (some of the toilets on the way may not have toilet paper or/and soap)
- First aid supplies.
- Hiking poles (great for the descents).
Note: It is a guideline, you are free to change it to your needs and preference.
Physical Fitness for 2-Day Treks in Nepal
Most of the 2-day treks in Nepal are in the lower altitudes. It includes 7-8 hours of walk in the 2 days. So, these are the easy grade treks in the rims of Kathmandu and Pokhara valley. You do not need prior trekking experience to do any of these treks.
Hence, these treks are doable by all types of trekkers. These are perfect for treks with family or if you are a beginner.
Yet, being physically fit and mentally prepared for these treks make it more comfortable and enjoyable.
Additional Information on 2-Day Treks in Nepal
- Check out our 1-day hikes in Nepal. You can do them as an overnight 2-day trek.
- These 2-day treks in Nepal have little to no risk of high altitude sickness.
- Opt for stays at local homestays. You will support the local families as well as get an authentic Nepali culture experience.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water. This helps ensure a comfortable and safe trek.
- You can do these 2-day treks solo, in groups, and with or without guides or porters.
- These 2-day treks are near the big cities of Nepal. Hence, they are accessible by roads.
- The trails on these treks are uneven, rocky terrain. These also include both uphill and downhill walks. You may also get some steep slopes, uneven and rocky stairs as well.
- Maintain and stick to your own pace. This ensures a safe and comfortable trekking experience. Always remember you are on holiday and not taking part in a competition.
- Trek with a guide. The trekking experience will be easier and more informative.
The trek will take you through beautiful, lush green orchards, beautiful woodland, and picturesque sites.
If you love walks and exploring nature along with fantastic views, these 2-day treks in Nepal are perfect for you.
None of these hiking trails need any previous experience of walking in the hills or mountains. For a better experience or any customized 2-day treks, you can contact us.