Winter trekking is a different experience, as it’s an adventurous time of the year. While it can be cold, but also have the clear view of the snow-capped mountains.
From December to February, the weather of the Annapurna Base Camp is pleasant during the day. But temperature can drop significantly at night.
Less traffic, crystal clear skies, and nice day-temperature give you perfect scenario for a trek. However, you will experience increasingly cold night temperatures at higher elevations.
It is a dry time of year so you may see some snow and will find some spots of thick ice on the well-established trails.
If you’re well prepared with good equipment and information, then you will be reward with empty trails, breathtaking snow-capped mountains views, and stunning snowy landscapes.
Annapurna Base Camp Temperature December
December is the beginning of the winter season in Nepal. Days are generally warm compared to the mornings and evenings.
Since this month is the beginning of the winter you will feel increasing cold day by day in morning and evening.
The day temperatures can be quite warm and you might sweat in a T-shirt while hiking. The higher you get the colder it gets, the daytime temperature is around 5-10°C.
At night the temperature goes down below 0°C. But if you move at higher altitudes (4500 m), temperatures decrease to -5°C.
Annapurna Base Camp trek stay below 4000 meters so you will be more comfortable as well as safer.
Also, the Nepal’s winter is fairly short. So, if you tend to do Annapurna Base Camp trek in early December, the temperature is mild to warm.
Reason to Visit
Here are some of the perfect reasons for trekking at Nepal Annapurna Base Camp in December.
- The weather of Annapurna Base Camp is beautiful sunshine, howling winds, and blizzard.
- The trekking routes are empty. So, you can enjoy the trekking popular route with few people to distract you.
- The skies tend to be clear with perfect views. This makes a perfect scenario for the stunning photography.
- You will get a chance to celebrate New Year and Christmas in the mountains with incredibly friendly locals.
- You will have an unforgettable festive season.
- Most of the trails are less crowded, you can enjoy some winter discount offers provided by tea houses.
Trekking Tips: Annapurna Base Camp Temperature December
- In winter, there are fewer hours of daylight. You need to consider this thing before selecting your route.
- Conditions can be different in winter, there can be an avalanche risk. So, you need to listen to the locals and be updated with local weather forecasts.
- You need to prepare yourself for cold and snow. So, you should dress up in layers.
- You need to carry sturdy boots for trekking in the snow. Also, warm feet is very important while trekking in winter.
- You need to drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- You need to be aware of the symptoms and precautions of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS).
Equipment List: Annapurna Base Camp Temperature December
Here is the list of essential trekking equipment that you need to carry on your Annapurna Base Camp trek in December.
- Sun hat or scarf
- Warm fleece hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Down jacket
- Down Vest
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Fleece wind-stopper jacket
- Waterproof shell jacket
- Lightweight cotton long pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms
- Fleece or wool pants
- Waterproof shell pants
- Lightweight gloves
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens
- Waterproof shell outer
- Thin, lightweight inner socks
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Sturdy hiking boots
- Camp shoes (sneakers/sandals)
- Gaiters (at higher altitudes)
- Sleeping bag rated to zero degrees
- Headlamp with spare bulbs and batteries
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag
- Basic first aid kit
- Trekking Poles
- Water bottles
Toiletries and Personal Hygiene
- Quick drying towel
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Multipurpose soap/handwash
- Face and Body Moisturizer
- Wet wipes
- Tissue / Toilet roll
- Anti-bacterial hands wash
- Feminine Hygiene products
If you’re thinking about trekking Annapurna Base Camp in the December of the winter season. Then it is a gorgeous time of year.
In Nepal, there is very less rain in winter and most of the days are sunny.
If you have warm gear, then the falling temperature might not be a problem. You will be doing hiking on the sunny day, where the temperature is manageable. Before the sunset, you will reach tea houses. A good down jacket and minus 30 sleeping bag can solve the temperature related problems.
Trekking in the higher altitudes is not recommended in December. But, the weather is dry and it is best to trek in the lower altitudes of Nepal.
Being an adventure tour organizer, we organize Annapurna Base Camp trek in December as per your requirements. You contact us through https://nepalecoadventure.com/contact-us/