When you’re heading out for a multi-day trek, a solid diet plan is really important.
Trekking is the fun and adventure activity. Thus, you need to keep yourself energized all the way. Afterall, it requires significant energy to complete trekking.
When it comes to Everest Base Camp, you will need a right type of food for an overnight or an extended walk. Also, it is one of the important considerations that you need to make.
Do you think Everest Base Camp trek is challenging?
Of course, yes!
Actually, the trail of EBC trek is challenging but at the same time, it is also exciting. You should gear up for the challenging journey ahead. Also, to maintain your energy level throughout the trail is not an easy job.
You can’t afford to eat too much while trekking as well. This also might slow you down on the trail.
So, how to maintain the diet while walking?
What type of food are available during Everest Base Camp Trek?
Trekking is an adventure and burns a lot of calories. But remember, you also need to replenish the calories that are lost in the process. Do keep in mind that, never get overloaded when there’s a lot more walking left.
So, make sure that your tummy is full of healthy foods.
Let’s see what kind of food are available on the trail, what to eat before and after the trek.
Here is a food guide for Everest Base Camp Trek to help you make your trip wonderful indeed!
Most of the tea houses on the trail are run by the locals. Thus, tea house trekking is an amazing way to get the insight of the local culture along with good food.
During tea house trekking, usually, the meal is served for a three times a day. Tea/coffee are also served during the Everest Base Camp trek.
The food will be served as per the teahouse menu. But along the trail, you’ll find similar food menu. Though some teahouses serve a surprising number of options. Thus, you can easily find yourself trying something different daily.
- Breakfast on Everest Base Camp
- Lunch at Everest Base Camp
- Dinner on Everest Base Camp
- Drinks on Everest Base Camp
- What to eat before trekking?
- What to eat after trek?
- What not to eat or drink while trekking?
- Essential Food Tips for Everest Base Camp Trek
- Final Thoughts
Breakfast on Everest Base Camp
On the whole day meal, breakfast, lunch, and dinner which you think is most important?
I absolutely love the options of breakfast. I think the breakfast is most important among these three options. As good breakfast fuels you up and gets you ready for the whole day trek.
On the normal tea house trek, breakfast is usually eaten at around 7am-8am. On the trail, most of the tea house offers a hot breakfast usually consists of french toast, eggs, potatoes, and tea or coffee.
- Toast bread with jam and honey
- French toast
- Cheese toast
- Honey toast
- Jam toast
- Toast bread with egg and cheese
- Plain toast
- Boiled eggs
- Plain omelets
- Scrambled eggs
- Fried eggs
- Veg omelets
- Cheese omelets
Bread and pancakes
- Tibetan Bread
- Pancake with jam or honey
- Apple pancake
- Egg pancake
- Chocolate pancake
- Lemon pancake
- Cinnamon pancake
- Chapati plain
- Chapati with honey, peanut butter, egg and baked beans
Porridge is another option for breakfast items. But do keep in mind that the topping options become modest as you get to the higher altitudes. Different options of porridge:
- Oat porridge
- Tsampa porridge
- Apple porridge
- Honey porridge
- Porridge with cinnamon and resins
- Muesli with hot milk
- Cornflakes with hot milk
- Rice pudding
- Chocolate pudding
All these available options for breakfast are healthy and replenishes your body with energy for a longer period of time. Also, these breakfasts maintain a higher level of glucose level in your bloodstream essential for the trek.
According to your taste and preferences you can choose any of these items for your breakfast. So follow this as a food guide for Everest Base Camp trek and eat a healthy wholesome breakfast.
Lunch at Everest Base Camp
In the food menu of Everest Base Camp trek, lunch consists of carbohydrate-rich food and whole grains. In the daily routine of the trek, lunch will be served in the afternoon, like around 12 noon to 1:00 pm.
The lunch will be served in one of the tea houses on the way to the teahouse menu.
Usually, traditional Nepali food (Dal, Bhat, Tarkari, and Aachar), which means boiled rice, lentil soup, vegetables, and pickle are the best options during the trek. Also, the Nepali style cooked meat are also served but this is an optional one. In these items also you’ll get the variety of options like:
- Dal Bhat veg
- Dal Bhat non-veg
- Rice with chicken curry
- Rice with veg curry
- Cheese fried rice
- Veg fried rice
- Egg fried rice
- Tuna fried rice
- Mixed fried rice
However, during the Everest Base Camp trek, not only the traditional food is an option. The tea houses offers an extensive menu for lunch as follows;
- Veg fried noodles
- Egg fried noodles
- Fried noodles with cheese
- Mixed fried noodles
- Veg momo
- Buff momo
- Chicken momo
- Cheese momo
- Veg momo fried or steamed
- Potato momo
Pasta and Macaronis
- Veg fried pasta
- Cheese fried pasta
- Pasta with cheese and tomato sauce
- Plain macaroni
- Macaroni with vegetables, cheese, and egg
- Mix macaroni
Pizza and Sandwiches
- Chicken pizza
- Mushroom pizza
- Mixed pizza
- Grilled cheese tomato sandwich
- Grilled tomato egg sandwich
- Grilled tuna and tomato sandwich
- Spaghetti with cheese tomato sauce
- Spaghetti with tomato sauce
- Spaghetti veg tomato sauce
- Spaghetti with tuna, cheese, and tomato sauce
Beside these mention items, you might get many other varieties depending on the menu of the tea house. Also, the teahouse menu will differ depending on the altitude.
Trust me guys, on the Everest Base Camp trek trails you’ll get the best food ever.
Dinner on Everest Base Camp
The dinner is served at the end of the day of the trek. Normally, it’ll be served in the lodge where you stay for the overnight around 7:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
Dinner will be as per the lodge menu and will be similar to the lunch. You can go for either traditional Nepali Dal Bhat or western food mentioned in the menu.
Drinks on Everest Base Camp
While on Everest Base Camp trek you should drink sensibly. On the trail, most of the teahouses served hot lemon and hot orange. Hot water and sliced ginger are also served. If you get a problem with your stomach then this will help you well.
Generally, the tea and coffee are also served. But keep in mind while trekking at the high altitudes, you should avoid caffeine.
Always keeping yourself hydrated is one of the most important keys to a successful trek.
If you don’t intake enough fluid it can cause the serious problem including altitude mountain sickness.
Throughout the trial, you’ll get the tap water for the drinking purpose. But personally, I don’t prefer tap water directly as it is not hygienic. So you must drink filtered water during the trekking period.
But you don’t have to worry as almost all tea house provides boiling water. They use boiled water to make tea, coffee, hot lemon or for cooking purposes. If you don’t like boiling water then you can use water purification tablets.
Although on the trail, you’ll also get bottled water, it’s not economical. On the peak season, some teahouses even charge few dollars for the boiling options. So, the best option is to use the purification tablet.
What to eat before trekking?
Now, let’s check before trekking what you need to eat to maintain your energy level during the trek.
According to many health experts, you need to take the right type of carbs before trekking like porridge/dalia or oats. All these products provide you instant energy.
People said that you must start trekking with a filling healthy breakfast. However, if you’re going for trekking towards the afternoon, then you should have a healthy lunch.
The lunch or breakfast can include whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, and some good quality protein such as eggs, nut, and peanut butter.
Along with wholesome healthy breakfast, you also need to drink ample of water. As I said before this is must important to avoid dehydration while trekking at a higher elevation.
What to eat after trek?
Once you’re done with the hectic hike, again you need to refuel your body. You can have look for options with protein and complex sugars such as quick energy bars. Don’t forget to drink a lot of water. Normally, having 500 ml water after you drink should be good.
What not to eat or drink while trekking?
During the Everest Base Camp trek, you need to totally avoid the meat, especially at higher elevation. As you probably know that all the meat has flown into Lukla and then carried up to its final destination.
Keep in mind that, it can take some days without any refrigeration. Thus, it’s best not to have meat on the trek.
In some places, it’s better to avoid the western menu like spring rolls or pizza. Last year one of mine friend visited Everest Base Camp trek during the autumn season. He was sharing some of his oops moment with me. One day he has spring rolls for lunch. He got disappointed as it was too oily and got sick after having them.
So be careful you need to give first priority to your health and then to the taste of the food.
If you want to keep yourself healthy during trek then strictly say no to alcohol !!!
Any type of alcohol shouldn’t be consumed before or during the trekking activity. It is best known to cause dehydration resulting in altitude sickness.
So, make sure you avoid alcohol for a healthy and energetic hike.
Besides meat and alcohol, you need to also avoid certain food items like;
- Avoid any food items that include high sugar level like candies. Although some would prefer energy bars or choco bars for the instant energy. But due to the high sugar content, it may cause a reduction in the energy cycle and imbalance your health conditions.
- Junk food like chips, fries or burgers as these foods take a long time to get digested.
- Canned or tinned products since these do not contain any essential nutrients.
Essential Food Tips for Everest Base Camp Trek
I assure you that after following these health food tips you can enjoy your EBC trekking experience to the fullest.
- Have a wholesome healthy breakfast. As I have said earlier that full and healthy breakfast is the best way to start an energetic hiking. Though, it’s advisable to avoid caffeine early in the morning to stay away from dehydration.
- Your lunch and dinner must consist of carbohydrate-rich food. Though carbohydrates take time to get digested, it is the best source of energy. If you have right carbs then it keeps you going for the whole day.
- Carry tea and coffee bags. Mind that almost all tea houses provide one tea bags for the one kettle tea. So, it might not get enough. Thus, don’t forget to bring tea bags, powdered milk or instant coffee with yourself. You can surely enjoy a cup of tea or coffee for yourself whenever you feel the need of that boost. Sipping your favorite tea or coffee will help you relax and add extra energy.
- You can keep some dry fruits with yourself on the trail. You can have some almonds, cashews, walnuts, raisins, and apricots in your backpack. As these dry fruits are light make the best source of the right nutritional elements for the trekking. All these are rich in proteins, minerals, fibers, and vitamins.
- Last but not the least, again I want to mention you have to drink plenty of water. During the entire trekking period, you need to drink at least 4 to 5 liters of water. You need to practice as many of us are not used to drink so much of water on daily basis. The good part of drinking water at the high altitude is the dissolved oxygen in water compensates for the low oxygen level in the high altitude level.
Finally, eating healthy is not only enough to keep yourself safe on the trek. Besides this, you also need to follow the basic hygiene like washing your hands often or using hand sanitizer.
Trekking is a fun activity that must be enjoyed with right kind of food and a healthy habit before, during and after the activity. Also, make sure to prepare yourself for the trek by indulging in healthy eating habit.
I hope at the end of the article you get the detailed view of a food guide for Everest Base Camp trek.
We run different trekking routes through the famous Everest region. Some famous trekking trails are :
- Everest Base Camp/Kalapathar Trek
- Everest Panorama Trekking
- Everest Base Camp-Cho-La pass-Gokyo Trekking
- Gokyo Valley Trekking
- Everest Base Camp Trek with Island Peak
- Shivalaya to Everest Base Camp Trekking
Enjoy and good luck! Get Walking!