Mount Kanchenjunga is the third highest mountain in the world residing at 8586 meters above sea level. It is the second highest mountain in Nepal after Mount Everest, the world’s highest mountain. It also holds the record of being the highest mountain in India touching the border Nepal from Sikkim making it a common border of the two countries.
It is a perfect destination to embrace the trekking experience that gives you the best views of the mountain range and natural beauty and the serenity that you seek up in the mountains.
The weather up in the mountainous region is quite challenging and unpredictable. The ideal weather and climate to trek the Kanchenjunga base camp is at Spring and Autumn season.
The lower region will be warmer and hot compared to the upper region in the mountains where temperatures may drop to minus 25 degrees. The normal temperature in the winter is below 15 degrees. So, it’s quite challenging trekking in winter, especially in the morning and nighttime.
Summers are usually rainy Nepal. The terrain will be more challenging as the trails get muddy and slippery. Hence, it is not preferred by most trekkers.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek from Nepal is done from three different routes, the southwest, northwest and northeast sides. This fine and remote trekking journey will only take 28 days where you will reach a maximum elevation of 5140 m.
The route of Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek was opened only since the 1980s so you will need to get a permit in order to trek inside the Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (2035 sq.km.). The region is full of different species of birds, animals, and plants.
This trek will let you experience the diverse natural beauty of the farmlands, traditional villages, beautiful valleys, and landscape throughout the trekking route. You will get to experience the unique cultures and lifestyles of different ethnic groups such as Sherpa, Limbu, Rai, Tamang, and others in the region. Their warm hospitality will leave you spell-bound.
Interesting Facts on Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
- Kanchenjunga Base Camp (5140 m), the base of the world’s third highest mountain, Mount Kanchenjunga.
- Crossing the Mirgin La Pass (4500 m).
- Yalung glacier and other high passes.
- Common border for Nepal and India with the views of more than 16 peaks of over 7000 meters.
- Kanchenjunga Conservation Area is the habitat of a lot of endangered species like the snow leopard, red panda, Asian black bear, blood pheasant, and a lot more animals such as Assamese macaque, musk deer, etc.
- Popular for the variety of butterflies and other insects.
- Rich in biodiversity including rhododendron, orchids, lilies, primula, and forest areas and around 200 different species of flowering plants are found in the region.
- The warm gestures and hospitality of the local ethnic groups like Rai, Limbu, and Lhomi, Tamang, and Sherpa communities.
- Traveling through a prosperous region in the eastern part of Nepal to reach the base camp which makes the trekking journey easier due to the availability of the basic needs with ease.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Weather and Seasons
Since the route of Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek goes across the diverse climate zones, it is a bit difficult to predict weather condition in this trail. The lowest altitude of this trekking route is at Taplejung which is at the altitude of 1820 m above sea level. And the Kanchenjunga Base Camp, our destination of this trek stands tall at an altitude of 5140 m above sea level. This causes drastic change in the temperature.
There is no uniform weather condition in different altitude even in the same season. Climate and weather vary in the different altitudes but you can somehow figure out the pattern of the climatic condition in different altitude in different seasons.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Spring
The month of March brings spring in Nepal and continues up until May. In the early spring, the weather is close to perfect and temperatures at the high altitude are still cold but not as cold as in winter. The weather in the lower regions of the trekking trails is also perfect.
The tea houses and lodges start to open in the alpine zone that was closed during winter due to heavy snowfall and freezing temperature. You don’t need to have all your camping gear while trekking in this season. You can easily cross the Sele La pass without difficulties.
Forest in the hilly regions starts to blossom giving the forest a new greener look and feel. You will get a chance to view exotic and even endangered wildlife on the way through the forest.
Around mid-spring, the temperature in the lower elevation starts to rise and by late spring, it will be hot. Even if the lower regions get hotter, the temperature in the upper elevations are perfect during this time of the year.
Late spring provides the blooming of colorful flowers in the entire lush green forest. Green hills and the white snow-capped mountain views are incredibly stunning. Very few traces of clouds can be seen in the sky.
It is recommended to wear sunscreen, sunhat, and sunglasses during trekking as the sunlight can be very strong at daytime. If not careful, it could cause dehydration and sunburn.
It is one of the perfect times to trek to Kanchenjunga Base Camp.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Summer
June, July, and August are the months of summer in Nepal known as monsoon or rainy season. It is super-hot in the lower regions at this time of the year, especially in the eastern regions of Terai and Hilly regions of Nepal.
The month of June is the pre-monsoon period and the temperature decreases during the downpours and rises in the sunny days.
Clouds will most likely cover the majestic views of mountains and different landscapes. But when the clouds clear up, you will be stunned by the view.
There will be few trekkers trekking to Kanchenjunga Base Camp at this time of the year. So, be assured that trekking this time of the year will be a peaceful ones.
In July and August, the monsoon clouds in Kanchenjunga brings frequent rainfall. Frequent flight cancellation occurs during this season. But when the weather clears up, flights and super clean views can be expected.
Due to the landslide, sometimes the trekking trail may change completely and can be shut for short durations for safety reasons. If accompanied by a good guide, he will know the alternative nooks and trails that could save you a lot of time.
Trekking in monsoon in Nepal can be a unique adventure in itself. If you do decide to go for trekking in the Kanchenjunga region, you are strongly recommended to do so. Just be sure to take precautions and safety measure. Also do get a proper guide who knows the route well. You should be fully prepared with your necessary gears and training.
You need not worry about accommodation as there is less traffic in this trekking route during monsoon season. Few lodges will remain open in this weather condition as well.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Autumn
Early autumn is the time when the monsoon is just leaving its effect but still the probability of rainfall is high in the first two weeks. Downpour gradually decreases and the skies turn out to be clear leaving the weather perfect with incredible, green lush forest and stunning white snow-capped mountain views.
The perfect season to trek in Kanchenjunga Base Camp or any other place in Nepal is in the autumn season. Weather in the trekking route will be perfect with not much wind or clouds. It will neither be too hot nor too cold.
Autumn is also the time of the year when a lot of festivities take place. You could score some special local delicacies too. Taking part in the local culture and festival is an experience not to be missed.
During late autumn, the temperature in the trekking route starts to cool down as winter approaches. The number of trekkers gradually decreases due to the colder climate in high altitudes. Even though the climate is colder, it does not affect the scenic view of the forests, hills, and mountains along the trekking trail.
In fact, late autumn is a great time to commence your trek.
There is a possibility of some traffic during mid-autumn in this trekking trail and the tea houses will probably be full of trekkers. It would be wise to pre-book hotels and lodges to avoid difficulty in finding a good place to stay overnight.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Winter
December, January, and February is winter in Nepal. Early winter is one of the best times to trek Kanchenjunga Base Camp other than Autumn. It is quite cold at high altitudes but the views of the landscape are crystal clear in this period of time.
In mid-winter, heavy snowfall will make daily life there, difficult. The highest pass of this trekking route, the Sele Le pass is still possible to cross before thick snow shuts it down.The circuit route through Sele le pass though will be tremendously challenging at this time. You can pass the trail but only with mountaineering equipment.
In this season, you can trek to Kanchenjunga base camp via the direct route.
The lodges will be closed in this season in Pangpema and Ramche. So, you will have to camp at these rest stops. The temperature may drop to minus 30 degrees or more. That’s why, you must be prepared with all the winter gears, equipment, and clothes that will protect you from the cold.
As the weather in the high altitude is challenging, it will add into the adventure.
In the late winter, the temperature begins to rise. The heavy snow deposits start to melt down and flowers start to bloom everywhere at the lower altitudes.
Some Extra Tips to Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
- Choosing the best season is where you should start. Best season means the time that you find appropriate and is comfortable for you. Autumn season and spring season are considered to be the best season to trek Kanchenjunga Base Camp for a novice trekker.
- The weather in the mountains can change unexpectedly even in best seasons, so you need to choose the proper gear and equipment for the possible change in weather. Besides that, Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek route has diverse climate zones so you will need both warm and cold climate clothing.
- Starting the trek early in the morning will keep you away from the day sunlight, which helps you from being tired and dehydrated. Also, in busy seasons, you will get the best place to stay if you reach to your rest stops early.
- If you are trekking in the winter season, backpacking with tent and mountaineering gears is a must due to the possibility of thick snow deposits all over the trail on higher altitudes.
- While trekking, it is essential to take care of your own body and health. You need to drink as much water to keep yourself well hydrated. If you fail to do so, the problem of fatigue, headache will make your journey unstable. Staying hydrated helps you to get rid of altitude sickness at the higher altitude as well.
- Chocolates, energy bars, and other snacks will not only entertain you while walking but also give you instant energy. Taking such type of snacks is highly recommended, it will help you if you get tired or your pace starts to slow.
- Training your body before you decide to book a trek is a good idea. Simple cardio exercises as well as running up and down the hills will prepare you for the strenuous journey up in the mountains.
- Choose the right trekking agency that provides the best professional guide along with the good porter who will be able to carry your heavy loads on your trekking journey. They will also manage the best place to stay all the way and back from the trekking journey and get you the right permits and entry passes.
You can trek in the Kanchenjunga region throughout the year. The trekking trail in monsoon and mid-winter is a bit more challenging due to rain and snow. But with proper grear and preparation trekking throughout the year is possible.
Spring and autumn are considered to be the best seasons to trek in any part of Nepal. For Kanchenjunga region trekking, autumn is the perfect season followed by spring. Weather in these seasons is close to perfect throughout the trail.
The temperature in the lower region is comparatively higher than the alpine region. You will be experiencing the diverse climate zone from hot to cold while trekking in Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek route. On top of that, the weather in the mountain is unpredictable; the clear and sunny day may radically change into a stormy one. This is normal and true for all season.
You should be prepared with both warm and cold weather clothing and other gears like rain gears and wind gears to trek this route.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek provides you with the greatest trekking experience. You will come into direct contact with the beauty of nature in this less-traveled trekking route. The trip gives you a lifetime memory of gorgeous mountains and wonderful hills and beautiful villages, and the hospitality of local people.
You can contact us for any further queries, we are committed to providing you with the best trekking experience.