Nepal has one of the widest variety of treks in the world. Loved by trekkers from around the world, Nepal offers short, medium, and long duration treks.
The short treks in Nepal are treks that involve less than 10 days of the actual trek on foot. There is a wide range of short treks suitable for all types of trekkers. Short treks come in all difficulty levels.
These treks are perfect for those with limited time for treks in Nepal.
- Short Treks in Nepal: 1-5 Days Trek
- Short Treks in Nepal: 5-12 day treks
- When to Go on Short Treks in Nepal?
- Additional Information on Short Treks in Nepal
- Final Say,
Short Treks in Nepal: 1-5 Days Trek
Duration: 1 Day
Highest Elevation: Phulchowki Hill- 2782 m.
This is one of the most beautiful day hikes in Nepal for bird and nature lovers.
This hike takes you through the dense sub-tropical forest to Pulchowki. Pulchowki means ‘Hill of flowers’ in the local language. Though short and near the city, this one day trek offers great views of the mountain ranges.
- Easy and scenic walk.
- View of the mountains like Gaurishanker, Langtang, Ganesh, and the Annapurna range
- Breathtaking view of Kathmandu valley.
- A visit to Godavari Botanical Garden
- Phulchowki hill: Dense forest of different plants including Rhododendron, oak. This forest is also home to different species of birds and butterflies.
- Phulchowki Temple: A shrine of Phulchowki Mai (Goddess).
Duration: 2-5 Days
Highest Elevation: Nagarkot- 2175m
This trek takes you to the lush hills and countrysides on the outskirts of Kathmandu. Though short and easy, it offers everything a short trek in Nepal should.
- Spectacular sunrise and sunset views over the mountains.
- Beautiful streams and watershed.
- Shivapuri National Park: A chance to explore this park- home to an exotic species of flora and fauna.
- Mulpani: This hill offers a beautiful panoramic view of the Kathmandu valley.
- Great views of the Annapurna, Manaslu, and other western mountains.
- Splendid views of Everest and Langtang ranges. You also get views of Buddha Himal, Ganesh Himal, Dorje Lakpa Himal, and Gauri Shankar Himal.
- Explore the ancient culture and lifestyle of the rural people of the hills of Nepal.
Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek
Duration: 3-9 days
Highest Elevation: 3,210 meters (10,531 feet)
The perfect introduction to treks to the Annapurna region of Nepal, this is a short and easy trek.
It offers the chance to explore the rich diversity of culture, flora, fauna, and landscape of Nepal. It also provides excellent mountain views.
- Beautiful hills filled with trees of rhododendron, magnolia, orchids among others
- Enjoy the warm, hospitable villages.
- Amazing, panoramic views of both the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges. You can also see other mountains like Gangapurna, Machhapuchhre, Nilgiri, and Lamjung Himal.
- A chance to explore the rich biodiversity of the region including rare mountain wildlife.
- A chance to experience the local Gurung and Magar culture and lifestyle.
- Deep gorges, small mountain streams
Short Treks in Nepal: 5-12 day treks
Tamang Heritage Trek
Duration: 5- 10 days
Highest Elevation: 3165 m
Tamang refers to an indigenous group of Nepal. This trek takes you through their villages in the Langtang region of Nepal. This is another new trekking trails of Nepal and hence sees fewer crowds.
On this trek, you also pass through beautiful ancient Tibetan Monasteries, forests, and waterfalls. You also get fabulous views of snow-capped mountains.
- Forests of rhododendron and bamboo.
- Many sacred Lakes
- Most accessible trekking region in Nepal.
- Ancient, traditional villages with preserved cultures and lifestyle.
- A chance to enjoy the solitude and the serenity of the Himalayan scenery.
- Outstanding views of the Himalayas. You can see mountains like Langtang Lirung, Langtang Kerung, Dorje Lakpa, Jugal Himal, and Ganesh Himal. Along with these, you can see other mountain peaks and passes.
- A great chance to observe the unique culture and lifestyle of the Tamangs.
- Traditional mountain houses, ancient monasteries, craftsmanship, and dress.
- A chance to observe the traditional Syabru dance, Khamba dance among others.
- Natural hot springs at the Tatopani.
- Terraced green farmland and thick forests of rhododendron and bamboo
Jomsom Muktinath Trek
Duration: 5-12 Days
Highest Elevation: 3800 m
One of the most popular treks in the Annapurna region, you can do this trek as a part of the Annapurna Circuit as well. Offering a look into a different landscape and culture of Nepal, this is an ideal short trek.
On this trek, along with views of magnificent mountain peaks, you also get to visit ancient caves, temples, and monastery.
- A chance to explore ancient monastery, caves, local tribes, and magnificent landscapes.
- A walk along the river bank with spectacular views of Nilgiri and Tukuche Peak.
- Muktinath Temple: A holy temple visited by thousands of Hindu and Buddhist Pilgrims every year.
- Local orchards and Natural hot spring.
- Beautiful villages of Marpha, Ghorepani, Kagbeni, Muktinath, and Jomsom.
- Forests of brilliant red rhododendrons, rocky cliffs, and mountain desert landscape.
- Spectacular views of Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Nilgiri, Mt. Annapurna south, Mt. Annapurna II, Annapurna III, Mt. Annapurna IV, Mt. Hiunchuli, Machhapuchhare, Tukuche Peak, Lamjung Himal.
- The deepest gorge of the world at Kaligandaki River.
- You can visit other areas of the temple complex. You can see the 108 water spouts, shrines of different god and goddess, springs and natural gas spot.
- Unique culture and lifestyles of Thakali- an indigenous group of northwestern part Nepal.
Duration: 8-12 days
Highest Elevation: Chicheme Kharka- 2645m
This is one of the new trekking routes in the Annapurna Region. Perfect for individuals looking for treks that have fewer motor roads and peaceful trails.
Machhapuchhre Trek takes you through different traditional and unspoiled villages. These villages are home to locals from different ethnic groups. You will also pass various terrace farms, waterfalls, and caves along the way. You also get the famous Nepali mountain scenery on this trek.
- Unspoiled trekking experience
- Villages inhabited by different indigenous groups of Nepal. You get a chance to explore the culture and lifestyle of these local groups. These include locals of Gurung, Magar, Tamang, Dalit (Damai, Kami), Newar and Brahmin.
- Green terrace farm and assorted vegetation including forests of rhododendron.
- Amazing waterfalls, hot springs, caves, mountain landscapes
- A unique view of Mt. Machhapuchhre (6,993m).
- View of mountains like Mt. Mardi, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and other Himalayan range.
Gosaikunda Helambu Trek
Duration: 7-14 Days
Highest Elevation: Laurabinayak at 4610m
This short trek offers spectacular views of the Himalayas along with exotic flora and fauna. You can also witness locals making a pilgrimage tour to the holy lake of Gosainkunda. During this trek, you will discover beautiful Himalayan passes and valleys.
- Spectacular views of the high Himalayas. You can see mountains like the Langtang Lirung (7227m), Shisha Pangma, and Ganesh Himal. You can also see the mountains of the Annapurna and Everest region.
- Forests of bamboo, rhododendron, pine, and sub-alpine vegetation.
- A wide variety of bird life and animals. If lucky you can see the shy red pandas, blooms of epiphytic orchards and other flowers.
- Fabulous views of the sunset, sunrise.
- The holy Gosainkunda lakes along with many other lakes (more than 100).
- Waterfalls and turbulent rivers.
- A traditional cheese factory
- Less crowded even in peak season.
- Beautiful villages rich in culture and religion of Sherpa, Yolmo and Tamang people.
- Alpine yak pasture of Kyanjin Gompa.
Everest Base Camp Trek
Duration: 9-12 Days
Highest Elevation: Kala Pathar- 5364m
This is a journey to the Base Camp of the highest mountain in the world, Mt. Everest. It is ideal for more adventurous and experienced trekkers who are short on time yet want to do this trek.
This short trip offers 50% less oxygen than you’re used to. It also offers freezing temperatures, solid long hour walks through rough terrain. Yet it offers the satisfaction of having trekked to one of the highest regions of the world.
- Adventurous and scenic mountain flight to and from Lukla-Kathmandu
- Beautiful trails with comfortable places to eat and sleep.
- Several tiny villages and towns.
- A chance to trek through the Sherpa heartland- Khumbu region.
- Display of a wide variety of flora and fauna
- Kala Pathar- Offers magnificent sunrise and sunset views over the Himalaya Giants
Gokyo Valley Trek
Duration: 10-17 Days
Highest Elevation: Gokyo Ri- 5,357 m
This popular and unique trek offers extraordinary views of mountains. It also offers a chance to explore the biodiversity as well as the cultural diversity of the region.
- A chance to view/explore exquisite glaciers in the Himalayas. This includes Ngozumpa Glacier, the largest glacier in the Himalayas.
- Scenic and adventurous mountain flight to and from Lukla-Kathmandu.
- A chance to explore old Buddhist monasteries and traditional Sherpa villages.
- Splendid peaks like Ama Dablam (6,812m), Thamserku (6,623m), Lhotse (8,516m) and Nuptse (7,861m).
- Gokyo Ri: A chance to witness the spectacular sunrise on the Himalaya. Views of four peaks taller than 8000m. This includes the highest mountain in the world, Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, and Makalu. You can also get views of the beautiful emerald Gokyo lake, along with other smaller mountains.
- One of the most stunning views of Mt. Everest on a trek.
- A chance to discover Sherpa culture and a look at a Yeti head in Khumjung village
- A visit to Gokyo lake
When to Go on Short Treks in Nepal?
Short treks in Nepal are doable throughout the year. Due to Nepal diverse climate, the best time to do your trek also might vary.
For most regions of Nepal, the local autumn and spring season are the best time to go trekking. These seasons have all the ideal weather conditions for a safe and comfortable trek. Yet, if you are looking for more challenge in your trek, the local summer and winter can be great.
For short, low altitude treks in Nepal, you can choose to do your treks any time of the year. Each season provides its own unique flavor to your trek experiences.
If you choose short treks that take you to Base Camps and high passes then the local spring and autumn are preferable. During summer and winter, these may remain closed due to extreme weather conditions.
If you love to enjoy walks among the blossoms of different flora, spring is ideal. You can enjoy blooms of diverse species of flora in the lower regions of your trek.
If you love the rain and enjoy trails with fewer crowds then summer (monsoon) is ideal. For safety, stick to early monsoon. The rainfall is less frequent and shorter.
If you don’t mind the cold temperatures then winter is the season for you. You get some of the best and clear views of snowy mountain peaks during this season. The trails are also quiet and peaceful with fewer crowds and locals.
Additional Information on Short Treks in Nepal
- The accessibility of the different trails and treks of Nepal is always improving. This is due to the construction of new roads and airports. Hence, you can do these treks in a wide range of duration.
- The difficulty of the treks not only depend on the duration but also on the type of trek you do. Nepal offers options of tea house trek and camping. The level of difficulty also depends on how physically fit you are, how well you adapt to the changing elevation and many more. Hence, the presence of range in the difficulty levels.
- The essential things you need on the trek may depend from person to person. It also depends on the time of year you travel in, the type of trek you do, and the duration of your trek. Hence, for a short duration of 5 or fewer days, a backpack of around 7 kg is ideal. For the other short duration treks, around 10-15 kg is ideal. These averages are for a tea house trek.
- There are specific duration trek packages to suit your needs. This includes short duration trek packages like 3-day treks, 5-day treks, and 8-day treks.
- You can create your own custom itinerary for the short or long duration you would like to trek in Nepal. You can contact us for this.
- For beginners and novice trekkers, you can try the easy level treks to get a feel for treks in Nepal. Else, choose a longer duration easy-moderate level trek. The longer duration gives your body more time to adjust to the changing elevation. The longer duration of these treks can also mean shorter walking hours.
With a wide range of trek destinations, routes and difficulty level, Short Treks in Nepal can suit the needs of any trekker with a time constraint.
For more questions or queries you may have of any treks or tours in Nepal, feel free to contact us.
You can also contact us to create your own personal itinerary for short or long duration visits to Nepal.