April is the most popular month of the year for trekking in Nepal. It is the most popular month for climbing small and high peaks in Nepal as well.
Comfortable weather and temperature along with dry and clear blue skies are perks of trekking in Nepal in April.
Along with this, spring will settle in by April giving you views of colorful blossoms of the local flora. This is the perfect time to enjoy treks and nature of Nepal.
- Weather and Temperature while Trekking in Nepal in April
- Clothing, Equipment, and Supplies
- Where to Trek in Nepal in April?
- Festivals You Can be a Part of While Trekking in Nepal in April
- Travel Tips for Trekking in Nepal in April
- Final Say,
Weather and Temperature while Trekking in Nepal in April
April is a mid-spring season in Nepal. It has favorable weather for all types of adventure activities in Nepal including treks. The weather is neither too hot nor too cold.
The days are long, dry and bright. In cities like Kathmandu and Pokhara, the average daytime temperature is around 23-30 °C.
It is quite warm at the lower elevations of the trek. At the higher elevations over 4000 m, the weather is moderate. The average daytime temperatures are around 20°C. Even during the nights, it is not as cold. The temperatures only drop to around 5-7 degrees Celsius.
The weather conditions do change as you trek up and down in altitude. The Base Camps and passes may have extreme weather conditions. Yet, April is one of the best months to do climbs over high passes, small and large mountain peaks of Nepal.
There is also less to no chances of rainfall in most parts of Nepal. You can enjoy your trek with clear blue skies and amazing visibility of the surrounding landscapes.
Clothing, Equipment, and Supplies
Make sure you pack your trekking essentials for treks in Nepal.
Trekking in Nepal includes a diverse altitude and temperature. Even in April, you can face a wide variety of temperatures and weather conditions on the trails. Hence, make sure you pack both warm and cool weather clothes.
Also, pack your running shoes. In the lower regions of the trek, these are more convenient than hiking boots.
Lightning and thunderstorms may take place during April. Short bursts of rain or hailstones can follow these. So, pack your rain jackets and covers for your bags.
If you are trekking in the Mustang and Jomsom region of Nepal, pack your windcheaters. These regions are very windy during April.
Where to Trek in Nepal in April?
In April, trekking is one of the most popular activities in Nepal. The weather and temperature are comfortable along with clear and dry days. The trails are also in good condition along with abundant greenery and colorful nature.
Everything that Nepal has to offer is accessible during April. This includes all the short, long duration treks, popular and remote treks.
Everest Base Camp Trek
Duration: 14 days
Max Altitude: Kala Pathar- 5,600 m
Permits: TIMS and local Entry Permit
Everest Base Camp is the most famous and popular trek in Nepal. Everest Base Camp trek has options of many routes, different trekking destinations nearby. In April, all these routes, destinations are accessible and offer incredible, clear views.
In the Everest region, the temperatures range between 10-13 degrees Celsius in the lower regions. In the higher regions, it can drop to -15 degrees Celsius.
You can also enjoy the colorful and lively nature of Sagarmatha National Park. In April, the flora is in full bloom and the fauna becomes lively after the winter slumber.
The last weeks of April are also the peak weeks to summit Everest. Hence, you can meet and enjoy the energy of potential and professional mountain climbers.
- Scenic mountain flight from and to Lukla
- Namche Bazaar: main trading center and hub for the Khumbu region
- Dumji Festival: Get a glimpse of the culture and lifestyle of the legendary Sherpa through this local festival.
- Khumbu glacier and ice fall
- Tengboche Monastery
- Flora and fauna of Sagarmatha National Park
- Breathtaking views of Pumori, Changtse, Nuptse, Lhotse, Amadablam, and Thamserku.
- Gorak Shep- The frozen lake at 5,164 m
- Kala Patthar- Stunning panorama of the entire Mt. Everest
Annapurna Circuit Trek
Difficulty: Easy to moderate
Duration: 12-21 days
Max. Altitude: Thorung La Pass- 5416m
Permit: TIMS, ACAP
April not only offers spectacular and clear views of the mountains but offers a look into the rich and diverse flora and fauna. It is the perfect month to indulge in an exceptional bird watching experience.
You can enjoy your trek on the dry trails in warm temperatures. On the lower regions, you can enjoy the beautiful scents of the local flowers while walking.
- Kali Gandaki Gorge: The deepest gorge in the world lies on this trek.
- Thorong La Pass- 5,416 m. In April, you get the stunning, clear and panoramic views of the Himalayas from the top of this pass.
- Cozy and some of the best tea house accommodations lie on this trail. You can enjoy the locally grown apple, apple pies, apple cider.
- Colorful blooms of rhododendrons and other wildflowers of the region.
Annapurna Base Camp
Duration: 7-15 Days
Max Altitude: Annapurna Base Camp- 4,320 m
Permits: TIMS, ACAP
Another marvelous trekking destination in Nepal during April is Annapurna Base Camp.
From the starting point of your trek, you can enjoy the perks of Spring trekking. You can enjoy the beautiful blooms of the local flora, lush greenery of the forests and terrace farms. You can also enjoy the taste and scent of the rhododendrons, raspberries on the trails.
On this trek, the average temperatures during April are 9-17 degrees Celsius. Clear blue skies in April allows you to get amazing views of the Annapurna giants.
In the Base Camp, you can see all the peaks surrounding the basin. These include Mt. Annapurna 1, South, The Glacier Dome, Mt. Gangapurna, Unclimbed Fang, and Mt. Machhapuchhre.
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu and Pokhara in cool, dry and bright weather conditions.
- Annapurna Conservation Area
- Perfect time to explore the area for bird and animal watching. April is the pre-breeding season for many species of birds and animals in the area.
- Spectacular sunrise view from Poon Hill
- Close up and clear view of the tallest mountain peaks of Annapurna range
- Two base camps in one trek- Base Camp of Mt. Fishtail (Machapuchare) and Annapurna. Explore the area in cool temperatures while enjoying the fabulous views.
Langtang Valley Trek
Duration: 8-17 days
Max Altitude: Tserko Ri- 4,984 m
Permits: Langtang National Park Entry permit and TIMS
Langtang Valley Trek is one of the most accessible and short treks in Nepal.
In April, this trek offers spectacular views of the beautiful valley and landscape. You can enjoy the colorful blooms of rhododendron and other wildflowers in the lower region. You can also enjoy views of many glaciers and green terraced farm during the trek.
This trek also offers amazing views of the mountains. Some of the mountains you can see during your trek are Langtang Lirung, Langshisha, Ganja la Peaks.
April also offers you the chance to spot some endangered species of animals in Langtang National Park. This includes Red Panda, Himalayan Tahr, Black Bear, Snow Leopard.
For a more cultural experience, you can opt for the Tamang Heritage trek. This trek offers you a chance to walk via lustful wooden trails and secluded villages. You can also enjoy homestays. These give you a more personal look into the local lifestyle and culture.
- Drive from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi: Enjoy views of lush green forests, terrace farms, mountain peaks, hills, and villages.
- Kyanjin Ri: Panoramic and clear views of Langtang and other Himalayan ranges.
- Lush green terrace farms, colorful rhododendron forests along the trails.
- Stunning view from Ganja La Pass
- Explore the wildlife in and around Langtang National Park.
Upper Dolpo Trek
Duration: 21-30 days
Max Altitude: Kang La Pass- 5151 m
Permits: Restricted region permit for Lower and Upper Dolpo. Shey Phoksundo National Park entry Permit
Upper Dolpo Trek takes you to the less known parts of Nepal. This allows you to trek via off the beaten paths, wild, and rustic trails on Dolpo region.
In April, this trek can be a great option for those looking for adventure and fewer crowds.
Situated between the Tibetan plateau and the Dhaulagiri Himalayan range, you can enjoy Upper Dolpo trek in dry and clear weather in April.
Though less trekked, it offers magnificent views of mountain peaks as well. You can also visit different isolated, preserved and traditional villages on the trails.
This trek is long and strenuous. Hence, it requires fit individuals with prior trekking experience.
While trekking in less-traveled regions of Nepal, make sure you hire a licensed guide. It helps to ensure your safety.
- Perfect month to explore the remote and rarely visited part of Nepal.
- Fewer trekkers as this is a less known trek destination.
- The crossing of several passes over 4,000 m
- Explore Nepal’s largest National Park- Shey Phoksundo National Park. In April, the wildlife and flora come alive after the winter slumber.
- Shey Phoksundo lake, the deepest lake in Nepal.
Upper Mustang Trek
Duration: 8-21 days
Max Altitude: Lo Manthang- 3,770 m
Permits: ACAP, Restricted region Permit.
Upper Mustang trek offers a wild, beautiful and adventurous trekking experience throughout the year.
On this trek, you will walk to Lo-Manthang, the capital of Mustang which is the only walled city of Nepal. Once a forbidden kingdom, it shows you a different side to Nepal.
In April, Mustang has favorable weather conditions. This allows you to explore the region of Mustang in comfort. You can view the stunning semi-arid desert landscape of Mustang. You can also explore the Buddhist monasteries, chortens, and mani walls on the way.
- Experience a vast difference in landscapes
- Immerse yourself in the rich culture of the high mountain people. Close view of Mt. Annapurna, Mt. Dhaulagiri, and Mt. Nilgiri.
- Pre-historic Tibetan Buddhist sacrarium.
- Walk through the Kali Gandaki river and enjoy the cool water.
- Explore the 2000-year-old cave for a mystical and magical experience.
Manaslu Circuit Trek
Duration: 14-21 days
Max Altitude: Larke Pass- 5,213 m
Permits: Restricted region Permit, MCAP, ACAP
In April, Manaslu Circuit Trek offers fabulous and unhindered views of Mt. Manaslu.
On the lower regions, this trek offers blossoms of rhododendron and other wildflowers. You can also see 19 different species of bamboo at their peak in April.
This trek also offers crossing of several adventurous bridges and raging rivers. You also get a chance to spot rare wild species in the preserved and isolated forests.
This trek is also ideal for a more wild, remote trek experience. It is one of the lesser-known treks. So, the trek sees a fewer number of trekkers. However, this trek offers incredible natural beauty and untouched, local ethnic culture.
Makalu Base Camp Trek
Duration: 18-23 days
Max. Altitude: Makalu Base Camp- 5250m
Permits: TIMS, Makalu Barun National Park entry Permit
April is one of the best months to do treks to Makalu Base Camp.
You can enjoy the full glory of nature at Makalu Barun National Park and Makalu Barun Conservation Area. In April, you can see the wide species of rare flora and fauna of the region.
You can also get clear views of the south face of the world’s fifth highest mountain, Makalu. Other mountains you see on this trek are Mount Everest, Chamlang Himal, and Lhotse.
You can also enjoy the simple lifestyle of the local communities of Rai, Sherpa, and Shingsawa farmers.
- An exclusive view of all major peaks. This includes Mt. Everest and Kanchenjunga.
- Rhododendron forests, alpine lakes, and deep gorges
- Makalu Base Camp
- Makalu Barun National Park and Makalu Barun Conservation Area
- April is a great time to spot rare animals. This includes the endangered Red Panda, musk deer, goral, Himalayan Tahr, and leopard. You can also view a variety of orchid, aromatic plants, oak, primrose and 19 species of bamboo.
- A peaceful trekking experience.
Festivals You Can be a Part of While Trekking in Nepal in April
Nepal celebrates different festivals due to its diverse culture. There are festivals that occur during April as well.
While trekking in April, you can be a part of some if you are in the Kathmandu valley. Some of the festivals are:
Bisket Jatra (Navabarsa)
This is a festival celebrated by the Newar communities in Bhaktapur during mid-April.
During Bisket Jatra, the locals pull a huge golden chariot around the town until it reaches the Khalna Tole. The chariot holds images of the god Bhairab. It stops during its journey during which the locals take blessings.
During the festival, you can enjoy a game of tug-of-war. It takes place between the resident of the eastern and western side of Bhaktapur.
At Khalna Tole, a 25 meter-high phallic symbol gets installed on a stone platform. This festival lasts for 4 days. People enjoy public and private bhoj (feasts) and celebrations.
Ghode Jatra takes place in the Kathmandu Valley. It is well-celebrated to ward off the demon ‘Gurumapa’. People believe that the soul of the demon still lives underground at Tundikhel.
Hence, the trained horses of Nepal Army perform horse race and circuses at Tundikhel on this day. The locals believe that these acts prevent the demon from rising again.
This festival marks the birth of Lord Buddha. It takes place on the full moon day of 1st month of Nepali calendar, Baishakh.
People celebrate this day by lighting butter or oil lamps. These are lit in different Buddhist monasteries, homes, and temples. You can also witness the prayer chants by Buddhist Lamas at stupas and chaityas.
Travel Tips for Trekking in Nepal in April
- Never skip acclimatization days.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Avoid non-vegetarian food in the high altitudes. Most of the meat takes days to reach the high altitudes by animal or porter. The warm days of April are not good for the meat.
- Train yourself physically and mentally before your actual trek. In April, the beauty of the trails may leave you wanting to explore more.
- April is one of the most popular months to trek in Nepal. For popular trekking destination, it’s best to book ahead. This includes your flights, accommodation, and meals. This way you will not have to queue, compromise.
- While trekking in less-traveled regions of Nepal, make sure you hire a good, licensed guide. It helps to ensure your safety.
- Travel insurance is a must for safety reasons. Most of the high altitude regions of Nepal have poor health services. If something goes wrong in these regions, your insurance can help you. Make sure it covers emergency evacuation in the high altitudes of Nepal.
- Solo trekkers are not permitted in treks that need a restricted region permit. You also must hire a license-holder local trekking staff.
Long, dry and clear days are your partners during the trek in April. You will get plenty of time to explore the local flora and fauna across the trails and villages in April.
April is also ideal for trying out climbs in the small peaks and passes. The weather in this month is neither too hot in lower altitude nor too cold at high elevations.
April is a good time to visit Nepal for almost any activities you want to pursue in the country. From trekking to climbing, rafting to jungle safaris, April is the ideal month.
For any further queries or questions related to treks and tours in Nepal in April, feel free to contact us. Also, feel free to contact us for all year round treks and tours in Nepal.