December is the beginning of the winter season. December is a good month for trekking activities in Nepal.
From late December to February, the weather is pleasant during the day. The days are dry and sunny. But in the mountain region, the temperature can drop significantly at night.
Trekking in Nepal in December is possible the whole month. But the first half of the month is usually more comfortable and preferred by trekkers.
Nepal’s lower altitude is less cold but the temperature tends to decrease as you go higher. This means that some of the higher elevation trekking is not recommended during December. Only treks below 4000m will be more comfortable and safer.
Most of the Annapurna, Everest and Langtang treks are possible in this month. But some of the other popular trekking areas such as Mustang and Simikot will be closed down after snowfall starts.
As Nepal has a short winter, you can visit the country during the early December for trekking in the Himalayan regions.
In this month, Nepalese farmers harvest paddy and start planting wheat. They also plant potatoes and maize. You will also get a chance to experience the hospitality of the local people in the mountains.
- Weather Conditions in December in Nepal
- Highlights of Trekking in Nepal in December
- Best Trekking Destination in Nepal in December
- Useful Tips for Trekking in Nepal in December
- Equipment List for Trekking in Nepal in December
Weather Conditions in December in Nepal
Due to diverse geographical features, Nepal’s climate also varies from one place to another. In the north, summers are cool and winters are harsh. While in the south, summers are tropical and winters are mild.
In the hilly region (Kathmandu Valley), the climate is mediocre with an average temperature of 2°C to 12°C in the winter. But, in the Himalayan regions, the winter temperature declines to sub zero degrees.
Highlights of Trekking in Nepal in December
Spring and Autumn seasons are the most popular time for trekking in Nepal. But, trekking in Nepal in December has its own distinct advantages. It rarely rains in December, so the skies are the crystal clear.
During December, there is snowfall only at the higher altitudes. But at the lower altitudes, the temperature is comfortable for trekking. You can even enjoy breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains.
In Nepal, winter is the off season for trekking. So, you will not face any issues related to accommodation at tea houses. It is because even the busiest of trekking trails are less crowded in December.
Nepal is a popular destination for tourists. In fact, a lot of people want to holiday in Nepal during Christmas and New Year. Thus, trekking in December gives you the perfect opportunity to fulfill your holiday dream in the Himalayas.
Best Trekking Destination in Nepal in December
There are a few places in Nepal where you can trek even during December. Despite cold temperature, this month offers clear skies, beautiful sunrise, and majestic mountains.
Here are some of the beautiful treks that you can do during December.
Everest Panorama Trek in December
Everest Panorama Trek is a short and easy trek in the Everest region of Nepal. This short trek offers you a scenic view of high mountains including Everest, Lhotse, Thamserku and much more.
This wonderful trek starts with a scenic flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. You will walk past dense rhododendron forests and river banks. You will reach the famous traditional Sherpa village of “Namche Bazaar”.
Namche Bazaar is the major attraction of the Everest Panorama Trek. It is a gateway to the Himalayas which lies at 3,440m.Here you will get to enjoy both natural and cultural aspects of the Himalayan region.
After a brief rest in Namche Bazaar for acclimatization, you will hike to the beautiful village of Thame. Then, you will reach the last destination of this trek i.e. Tengboche. Here you can visit the ancient Tengboche monastery and witness the locals performing daily rituals and prayers.
- Breathtaking view of Mt. Everest and other high mountain peaks
- Green lush vegetation of Sagarmatha National Park
- View diverse flora and fauna
- The famous Sherpa Village: Namche Bazaar
- Visit the highest Buddhist monastery in Khumbu region: Tengboche Monastery
- Explore the unique culture, traditions, and lifestyle of the local Sherpa people
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek December
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is a short and easy adventure trek around Annapurna region. This trek starts and ends in Pokhara, the second largest city in the country. It is one of the most famous treks as it is fast, smooth and suitable for all kinds of trekkers.
This short trek in the foothills of the Annapurna region will give you a panoramic view of the snow-capped mountains. On the trails, you will also get a chance to visit charming Gurung villages and interact with friendly locals.
This trek starts from Nayapul followed by crossing the Modi Khola on the way to Hile. The trail will then lead you to the fascinating Ghorepani Village. This village is home to a traditionally rich community named as Gurungs.
Next day, you will reach Poon Hill after a few hour of walk. From Poonhill viewpoint, you can view amazing landscapes of the Dhaulagiri and Annapurna peaks. It is one of the most incredible views on earth.
Compared to other months, Ghorepani in December is cold with an average temperature of 2°C.
- Picturesque sunrise view over the Annapurna range
- Breathtaking mountain views: Mt. Annapurna, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Nilgiri, Mt. Machhapuchhre and Lamjung Himal
- Visit a charming Gurung Village: Ghorepani Village
- Walk around the beautiful lake city of Pokhara
- Explore distinct tradition and heritages
Langtang Valley Trek in December
Langtang is the third most popular treks in Nepal after Annapurna and Everest regions. This trek lies in the nearest Himalayan region from Kathmandu. This wonderful trek leads you to various parts of the Langtang region.
Langtang Valley Trek begins with a drive from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi. During the trek, you will walk through lower parts of the Valley leading past different villages and landscapes. As you trek, it will lead you to Kyanjin Gompa.
During the trek, you can climb up Kyanjin-RI and enjoy the spectacular views of Mt. Langtang and other Himalayan ranges. This trek also offers you towering waterfalls, snow-capped mountains, and glaciers.
Along the trail, you will get a chance to explore the rich culture of the Tamang people. Tamangs are highly influenced by the Tibetan culture. The house and the architecture of this place are very unique.
During December, the weather in Langtang Valley is sunny and warm. The chance of a clear mountain view and open sky in December is more than 80 percent. But, it is a bit colder than Kathmandu Valley due to the high altitude.
This trek is suitable for those trekkers who want to avoid crowds and enjoy the natural beauty of Nepal in a short time. This trek is also ideal for people who are looking to explore the unique Tamang culture.
- Langtang National Park, second largest national park in Nepal
- Visit typical old Tibetan villages
- Explore the Tamang culture, traditions, and lifestyles
- Spectacular mountain views such as Ganesh Himal, Langtang Lirung, and Langtang -II
- Visit culturally rich villages like Syabrubesi, Reimche, Ghoda Tabela, and Langtang village
Useful Tips for Trekking in Nepal in December
Winter in Nepal is not as severe as in the other parts of the world. The hilly and mountain regions have cold mornings and evenings. But afternoons are warm and sunny.
Despite the chilly temperature, there are more benefits of trekking at this time of the year. Thus, trekking is fun even during December up until the altitude of 3000m.
Here are some useful tips for trekking in Nepal in December:
- Since December is in winter, you need to prepare yourself for cold and snowfall. Thus, you need to dress up in layers.
- Having warm feet is important when trekking in winter. So, you need to carry sturdy boots for trekking in the snow.
- If you are not an experienced trekker, then you can trek in the lower altitudes.
- You need to stay hydrated. So, you have to drink plenty of water while on the trail and always keep a full bottled water with yourself.
- If you are trekking over the altitude of 2500 meters, you need to be aware of the symptoms and precautions of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS).
- Before heading towards your trekking destination, you need to learn about the local communities. This will help you in communicating with them and learning about their culture.
- During December, you shouldn’t go trekking on your own. Hire a guide or go with an experienced group of people. You never know when you will encounter bad weather in the Himalayas.
Equipment List for Trekking in Nepal in December
Many people often get worried that the Himalayas of Nepal is filled with snow, low unbearable temperature, and strong winter winds.
But with the right equipment and warm trekking gears, the falling temperature is not a problem. So here is a list of essential trekking equipment which you need to carry on your trek.
- Duffel or Rucksack Bag
- Down jacket
- Sleeping bag
- Sun hat or scarf
- Light balaclava or warm fleece hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Thin, lightweight inner socks
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots with spare laces
- Camp shoes (sneakers/sandals)
- Gaiters for hiking in winter
- Lightweight gloves
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens
- Waterproof shell outer
- Under Garments
- Lightweight cotton long pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms
- Fleece or wool pants
- Waterproof shell pants (preferably breathable fabric)
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Fleece Wind-Stopper Jacket
- Waterproof shell Jacket
- Sleeping bag rated to zero degrees
- Headlamp with spare bulbs and batteries
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Large plastic bags- for keeping items dry inside trekking bag
- Day pack
- Trekking poles
- Water bottles
- Ear plug (optional if you can’t sleep listening to snores of your group members)
Toiletries and Personal Hygiene
- Quick drying towel
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Multipurpose soap/ hand wash
- Face and Body Moisturizer
- Wet wipes
- Tissue / Toilet roll
- Anti-bacterial hands wash
- Feminine Hygiene products
Extra / Luxuries (Optional)
- Trail Map/ Guide Book
- Sleeping bag liner
- Pillow case
Trekking in Nepal in December is excellent as the weather is usually settled and clear. The mountain views are also perfect with low humidity and precipitation.
Of course, it is colder than October and November. But, you can overcome this by choosing the right trekking destination, appropriate gears, and clothing.
Usually, trekking to higher altitude is not recommended in December. But, there are other alternatives. Since the weather is dry, it is best to trek in the lower altitudes of Nepal.
The other benefits of trekking in Nepal in December is that the trekking trails are crowd free hence you can enjoy the peace. You can also enjoy the special winter discount provided by the teahouses in the trail.
Weather conditions in the Himalayas can be unpredictable, even during the best trekking seasons. Sometimes, bad weather conditions can affect your flight schedules, resulting in flight delays. So, to be on a safe side, you can add a few extra days in your trip’s plan.
If you have any queries, please feel free to ask and contact us at any time. To contact us you can go through https://nepalecoadventure.com/contact-us/