May is the season to satiate your trekking wants in Nepal. This month offers warm and more stable weather conditions even in the high altitudes of Nepal. This makes it the ideal time for all treks in Nepal.
Trekking in Nepal in May offers chances to see mountaineers expedition in action. You can also witness the awe-inspiring views of flora, fauna, and mountains on the trails.
During May, you have the entire country to explore. Hence, you may find difficulty in choosing the best trek destinations.
To make your search easier, we have listed some packages that may interest you. These are some of the most beautiful treks that you can do in May.
Weather and Temperature for Trekking in Nepal in May
Nepal has a diverse topography due to its wide range of altitude. Hence, the climate varies from place to place.
On average, the daily daytime temperatures in Mays range between 20-30 degrees Celsius in the lower regions. In the higher altitudes, the temperatures can drop to 0 degrees Celsius.
May sees very little to no rainfall, snowfall. Yet, you may get premonsoon showers in late May.
In the lower regions, there is a strange haze in the afternoon in the cities of Kathmandu and Pokhara.
Some Treks to Consider for Trekking in Nepal in May
Everest Base Camp Trek
Duration: 10-15 Days
Highest Elevation: Kala Pathar- 5,643 m
One of the best months to summit Everest May is the ideal month to do the Everest Base Camp trek.
Some of the main reasons to do this trek in May are:
- Witness and enjoy the colorful camps of the Expedition Team at the Base Camp. You may spot famous and professional mountaineers at work.
- The warm temperatures of May. There is almost no snow en route to and at the Base Camp.
- Clear and dry trekking trail.
- Clear and dry weather that provides amazing visibility of the surrounding sceneries.
- A closer look into the life of the world famous Sherpa climbers. You will see them in action as part of the expedition teams.
- Scenic views of the colorful blossoms of the flora in the lower region. Especially beautiful are the rhododendron blossoms.
- A special month in the history of Everest Climbing. Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa reached the summit of Mt. Everest for the first time on 29th May 1953.
- Mani Rimdu celebration at Thame. It is the biggest festival of the Sherpa of the Everest (Khumbu) region. Perfect chance to get a glimpse into the local traditions and rituals. These include locals of some of the highest settlements on earth.
Annapurna Circuit Trek
Duration: 8-21 Days
Highest Elevation: Thorong La Pass- 5415m
Annapurna Circuit Trek takes you around the Annapurna Mastiff. Hence, it is also known as the ‘Annapurna Round Trek’.
Annapurna Circuit is an ideal trek for May. This is because
- All the high passes on the trails are open and have little to no snow. This includes the highest Pass on the trail- the Thorong La pass. The clear and dry trails make it easier to pass the adventure high Passes.
- Amazing views of some of the most stunning 8000 m mountains. This includes the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges.
- All the cozy and beautiful accommodations are open.
- Local fresh meals are available along the trail. Best time to try the locally grown apples and delicious apple pies.
- Despite the high altitude, the temperatures do not drop too low. You can do your trek in comfort with a medium fleece jacket.
- A chance to witness the wide species of birds and animals in the Annapurna Conservation Area.
Manaslu Circuit Trek
Duration: 14-24 days
Highest Elevation: Larke La Pass- 5213m
Manaslu Circuit Trek is a restricted region in Nepal. It will be open in May which is a good month to do the Manaslu Circuit Trek. It is also a great time to add Tsum valley to your Manaslu Trek during May. This mystical valley gives you a rare insight into the preserved culture of the Tsumbas.
Some reasons to do this trek in May are:
- Comfortable temperatures of 25 degrees Celsius in the lower regions. Even in the high altitudes of the trek, the temperatures do not drop below -5 degrees Celsius.
- Easy to cross Larke la Pass.
- Clear and great view of the Himalayas including the Twin peak mountains.
- Fewer crowds than treks in the Everest and Annapurna Region.
- Ideal for trekkers looking for a challenge. May is the perfect month to try this more challenging trail.
- All the tea houses of the region are open during this month.
Langtang Valley Trek
Duration: 8-12 Days
Highest Elevation: Kyangjin Ri, 4773 m
The Langtang Valley Trek takes you through the beautiful Langtang National Park. The final destination of the trek is the valley of glaciers- Langtang Valley.
Most of the region enjoys warm temperatures between 23-30 degrees Celsius. At the higher regions, it can drop to 0 degrees Celsius during the nights.
This is an ideal trek for beginners, a family with children, elderly. It provides majestic views of the Himalaya peaks, flora and fauna of Langtang region. May allows for clear and amazing views of mountain peaks like Langtang Lirung, Ganchhenpo, Naya Kangri, Yala peaks and more. You can also see Mt. Ganesh, Mt. Manaslu and Jugal Himal as well.
May is also the perfect time to try climbs to small peaks like Kyanjin Ri. The trails are almost dry and clear of snow.
Rara Lake Trek
Duration: 6-18 days
Elevation: 2290, Rara lake
Rara Lake is one of the world’s most picturesque, biggest and deepest freshwater lake. During the Rara Lake Trek, you can explore the lake and the surrounding Rara National Park. This is the perfect trek for you in May for the given reasons
- A far more isolated trek option with fewer trekkers than the other popular treks of Nepal.
- The chance to get clear views of the beautiful scenery. This includes amazing views of northwestern Trans-Himalayan peaks of Nepal.
- Perfect to explore the lush green forests.
- A chance to spot rare animals. It is the breeding season of some of the rare animals and birds. This includes the Musk Deer, Himalayan Black Bear, Red Panda, Ghorals, Wild Boar and Thar, and Danphe.
- Clear and dry weather gives you the chance to view the high altitude, cobalt blue Rara lake in all its glory. Perfect for pictures and gazing.
Makalu Base Camp Trek
Duration: 18-24 days
Highest Elevation: Makalu Base Camp- 5045m
You will trek to the Base Camp of the world’s 5th Highest mountain peak in the world- Mt. Makalu. In May, the Makalu Base Camp Trek can be perfect for the adventure lovers wishing for a more remote and wild trek.
Some other reasons to do this trek in May are:
- Makalu Base Camp: Clear and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountain peaks. Some popular ones are Mt. Makalu ( 8463m), Mt. Chamlang (7319m ), Mt. Baruntse (7129m).
- Barun Valley: You can enjoy your trek with lush, colorful blossoms of rhododendrons and other wildflowers.
- High waterfalls falling into deep gorges, alpine meadows as well as glaciers.
- A chance to spot rare animals like red panda, snow leopard, Himalayan wolf, Assamese Macaque, and others. You can also find a wide species of butterflies, reptile, and birds here.
Tips for Trekking in Nepal in May
- The weather in higher altitudes is getting more unpredictable due to global warming. Hence, prepare for changing weather conditions. Invest in a good waterproof boot.
- Make sure to bring some rain gear with you for treks in May. This includes a light rain jacket, rain cover for your bags.
- Make sure to pack your insect repellants and salt. This can be great to repel mosquitoes, flies and other insects. Salt is great to get rid of leeches on the lower regions.
Are Trekking Permits Available in May?
Yes, trekking permits are available in May. With the right documents, you can get permits for any of the trekking destinations that are open for May trek.
The permits are available both in Kathmandu and Pokhara. You can also get them at the start of some of the trailheads. Yet, it is more expensive here and the services are not always reliable.
Are Trekking Lodges Open in May?
May is the peak season for treks all over Nepal. Hence, all trekking lodges, tea houses, cafes, restaurants are open to visitors.
What to Pack to Trek in May?
You need to take all the necessary trekking gear, clothing and equipment, and supplies for a high altitude trek in Nepal for May.
Also, have your rain gear with you. Late May may see some rainfall due to the pre-monsoon rainfall. Also, have a good pair of sneakers with you. This can be handy for sightseeing tours in the cities as well as treks in the lower region.
Make sure you carry clothes that are breathable. During May, the lower regions can get pretty hot.
Trekking in Nepal in May is an amazing experience with the right gears and preparation. You will enjoy the beautiful and colorful nature along with fabulous mountain views on the treks.
For further details, queries and questions about any treks in May, feel free to contact us.
You can also contact us to customize any treks and tours in Nepal to better meet your needs.