The Dhulikhel-Nagarkot-Changunarayan trek is among the best short hike/treks you can tackle in Nepal.
The Dhulikhel-Nagarkot Trek is one of the shortest and beautiful trekking routes near Kathmandu valley. This two-day trek is most popular among people who want to get away from the rush and noise of the city.
The gentle walk through the densely forested trails is perfect for novice trekkers. You walk through beautiful forests, terraced farms, historical places, and witness the panoramic view of the Himalayas, traditional villages, and their lifestyle.
You will explore Dhulikhel and make your way through the lush green forests of Nagarkot. From there, you walk to the ancient Hindu temple of Changunarayan and end your trek.
The highest point of this trek, Nagarkot, lies at an altitude of 2,175 meters and is situated 35 km east of Kathmandu. This small and beautiful hill station offers stunning views of sunrise and sunset over the panoramic mountains like the Annapurna range, Ganesh Himal, Langtang Lirung, and Manaslu.
This short trek is famous, and you can tackle it throughout the year. The safe trails in this route make it an easy trek during the monsoon season as well.
We take a bus to Dhulikhel in the morning. It takes 1-2 hours by bus to reach Dhulikhel. Dhulikhel exhibits aesthetic structures that carry historical importance. You can go around and town and observe the distant sight of the Himalayas.
After visiting the town, you start the hike to Nagarkot. It takes 5-6 hours to reach Nagarkot.
You hike through the lush green woodlands of the area as you make your way to Nagarkot. Once here, you check-in at the hotel and have lunch. Shortly after lunch, we hike to the View Tower. The View Tower gives you an alluring and artistic view of the sunset, and you can witness the sun dip below the horizon. Overnight at Hotel View point Nagrkot.
The next morning, we head out early in the morning to catch the view of the sunrise. The view of the sunrise from Nagarkot is one of its most prominent features.
You get to see the sunrise over the horizon as it paints vibrant colors over the snow-capped peaks of the mountains in the backdrop.
We will then hike towards Changunarayan Temple in Bhaktapur. We walk for about 3 hours towards this famous and ancient historical and religious landmark.
Changunarayan Temple is among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Nepal. You can go around the ancient city of Bhaktapur and be tete-a-tete with the Newari community and mingle with their lifestyle as well.
You can learn about the historical and religious importance of Changunarayan and Bhaktapur, and learn of the culture of the people living in this city. You can also look at the prominent ancient architecture and fine arts that give Bhaktapur its artistic and historical features.
We then head back to Kathmandu, which is a one-hour drive.
What is Included
- 2 Lunch 1 dinner and 1 breakfast.
- 1 night Nagarkot Hotel Viewpoint full board.
- Nagarkot entry permits.
- Private transport to Dhulikhel and back to Kathmandu from Changunarayan.
- A highly experienced, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with all his Salary, Food, Drinks, Accommodation, Transport, and Insurance.
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
What is Excluded
- Airport picks up and drop by private vehicle.
- Meals and accommodation whilst you are in Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee $30 USD for 15 days visa on arrival.
- Your Travel Insurance.
- International airfare.
- Your personal expenses.
- Alcoholic and nonalcoholic and all hot and cold drinks.
- Tips for the guide and driver (Tipping is expected).
- Changunarayan and Bhaktapur entrance fee $18 USD per person if you visit them.
The difficulty level of trekking from Dhulikhel to Nagarkot is moderate. You will experience light walking and novice level hiking only. Physically, this is not a very difficult trek. You will go down some steep paths, so carry trekking poles to take the pressure off your knees. This route is an excellent trek for beginners who wish to go for long trekking such as Everest Base Camp or Annapurna Base Camp.
Nagarkot is a popular destination for one-day treks as well as excursions. There are plenty of lodges, small guest houses, and even luxury hotels that provide the best accommodation possible. For this trek, however, we will entertain you in the best hotels or lodges possible, and you can even visit one of many teahouses and explore the market.
For this short trek, you can pack light. We recommend you bring caps, water bottle, and comfortable shoes or sandals. It is best to carry a jacket or warm sweaters during the winter, and a raincoat in case you choose a monsoon trek. During the summer, carrying caps, sunscreen lotions, a water bottle and a pair of sunglasses would be fitting, while tees and shorts are sufficient. While our staff will carry first aid and kit bag, we still recommend you bring a personal first aid kit along.
While you don’t need to be a seasoned trekker or a marathon runner, you do have to be healthy and mentally prepared for trekking. The pace of the trek may vary depending on your walking speed, so being healthy and prepared would be sufficient for a short trek.
- A short trek to explore the Nepalese inhabitants and hidden valley.
- Visit the valley’s most popular hill stations; Dhulikhel and Nagarkot
- Get a glimpse of sunrise and sunset from the hilltop of Nagarkot
- Enjoy the stunning panoramic view of Annapurna, Langtang Lirung, Manaslu, and Ganesh Himal
- Visit Changunarayan: the ancient Hindu temple with a spectacular monument and rich in architecture and history.
- Explore the culture and traditions of the Newar community.