The 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek is one of the best short treks in Nepal. Opened in 2012, the Mardi Himal Trek is a hidden gem in the Annapurna region. The 5 day Mardi Himal trek is an easy to moderate level trek doable by all travel enthusiasts.
The itinerary for Mardi Himal trek is customizable to suit your demands. This trek is perfect for those who are short on time and have least trekking experience.
This is an interesting trek to the Himalayas. You will get stunning views of snowy mountain peaks. You will also get to explore the beautiful, quaint, and traditional villages along the way.
Highlights of 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek
- Amazing view of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Machhapuchhre, and Manaslu ranges
- Beautiful, remote, stone built villages like Siding, Liwang, Phedi
- Termed the Eco-tourism trail. The Mardi Himal trek passes through lush green rolling hills. You can also see pristine rhododendron, magnolia, pine, and oak forest along the trails.
- One of the hidden trekking gems of Nepal.
- Indulge in the local Gurung lifestyle, culture, and tradition
You may also like:
This trip is customizable. Share us about your preferences. We can redesign the itinerary based on your convenience.
Duration: 6/8 hours
After your arrival in Pokhara, you will drive to Kade. It is an hour’s drive.
From Kade, your actual trek on foot starts. After an hour of trekking on good trails, you reach the Australian Camp (2060m) to catch the great views of the Annapurna range and Pokhara valley.
From here you trek to the Deurali. From Deurali, you will leave the crowded trails of the Annapurna Sanctuary and head towards Forest Camp.
This part of the trail is more quiet which passes through the beautiful, lush green jungle. You can enjoy the beautiful and colorful blossoms during spring in this region. You can see beautiful and colorful rhododendron and other sub-alpine flowers.
You will stay overnight at a local tea house in Forest Camp.
Duration: 7/9 hours
After a comfortable night at Forest Camp, your trek begins. Once again you trek through the beautiful forest area. If lucky, you may catch glimpses of the wildlife in these regions like Himalayan Thar, Mask deer, spotted Deer, Barking Dear, Snow leopard.
Once the ascend begins, the landscape starts to change. The moss, lichen, and ferns cover the trees.
After an hour of trek from Low Camp, the trail reaches out above the treeline. You will get your first, clear sightings of the magnificent mountains like Annapurna South and Hiunchuli.
The trail continues along the ridge towards Mardi Himal.
From Badal danda (cloud hill), you leave the tree line and enter the alpine zone. You will be walking mainly on grasslands. From here, you will reach High Camp.
High Camp is a beautiful and small pasture land. You can see the beautiful snow capped peaks getting a little closer.
Duration: 7 hours
You begin the trek with spectacular views of Mt. Machhapuchhre and Annapurna. You will continue your trek along the ridge to reach the beautiful Mardi Himal Base Camp.
This can be a challenging day for beginners or novice trekkers. The trail is steep, rocky, and uneven.
Yet with the amazing view all around you, motivation and determination to reach Mardi Himal Base Camp runs high.
From Mardi Himal Base Camp, you can see the magnificent and gorgeous Mardi Himal and Mt. Macchahahpuchahre, Hiuchuli are right above you. You will also see some other high mountain peaks like Annapurna I, II and Gangapurna as well.
Duration: 5-6 hours
After a wonderful night in the glory of trek well done, your return trek begins. You can enjoy the beautiful sunrise at Mardi Himal Base Camp.
You can enjoy the magnificent mountain scenery in different lights from your stay at Mardi Himal Base Camp. You will see amazing sunrise and sunsets in this remote, quiet location up in the Himalayas.
After this you will start your descent. From Pothana the trek gets more comfortable. You will stay overnight at Dhumpus.
Duration: 1.5/2 hours of trek and 1 hour drive
Dhumpus view point gives you an awesome view of sunrise on the majestic mountain peaks.
The trek today begins with a steep descent from Dhampus. You will trek down the beautiful forest and country side. You can see the farmers busy in their daily chores.
After reaching Phedi, you will drive to Pokhara.
Costs that are typically included:
- Three meals a day (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) during trek
- Fresh fruit every evening after dinner.
- Tea houses accommodations during the trek.
- Private Car to Phedi and shared Jeep from Saidighatta to Pokhara.
- Trekking Permit, Annapurna Conservation Area Permit and Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) fees.
- An experienced fluent English speaking guide trained and licensed by the Government of Nepal, Ministry of Tourism with his foods, wages, equipment and insurance.
- A Strong, helpful porter with his salary, food, equipment and insurance (1 porter for 2 trekkers).
- Medical supplies (first aid kit)
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service paid by your Travel Insurance Company.
- Use of sleeping bag, down Jacket and walking Poles (if you don’t have your own, To be return after trip completed). Using these 3 items you pay $10 USD each as maintenance and washing charge.
- Nepal Eco Adventure T-shirt, cap and duffel bag.
- Oxymeter to check your pulse and oxygen saturation and heart rate twice daily (Very useful to check Altitude Mountain Sickness(AMS) symptoms).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
- Assistant guide group size above 6+ person.
Costs that are typically excluded:
- Meals and hotel while you are Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Nepal entry visa fee $30 USD for 15 days visa on arrival.
- Your Travel Insurance.
- International airfare.
- Personal nature expenses. Telephone, Laundry battery charging.
- All the alcoholic and non alcoholic cold drinks.
- Hot shower and battery charging on the tea houses.
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tips is expected).
- Any other expenses that aren’t mentioned in the section above.
- Kathmandu -Pokhara -Kathmandu flight available with extra cost $250 USD return.
Best time to do the Mardi Himal Trek
The Mardi Himal 5 day trek is doable throughout the year. Yet, the following months give you the best visibility and weather conditions.
September to December: Cool, dry, and stable weather conditions with amazing visibility.
March to June: Colorful blossoms of flowers on the lower regions of the trail.
You will need to have 2 different permits for your 5 days Mardi Himal Trek. These are:
- ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area Entry Permit): You will be trekking through the beautiful Annapurna Sanctuary. Some parts of this cost goes to the conservation of the area.
- TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System): This is required by any foreign trekker wishing to trek in Nepal.
You can get these from Kathmandu. There are a few checkpoints along your 5 days Mardi Himal Trekking trails. You may have to show your permits in these places.
The Mardi Himal 5 day trek is an easy to moderate level trek.
You need a certain level of fitness to have a comfortable trekking experience. The final push from High camp to Mardi Base Camp can be a bit challenging.
The entire 5 day Mardi Himal Trek covers 49 km. You will be walking 6/7 hours a day.
To make it easier, you can try going for long walks or week long treks or hikes to your nearby hills. You can also do cardio exercises like running, jogging, cycling.
Altitude and mountain sickness is not a problem on the 5 day Mardi Himal trek. You won't be at a high altitude for very long.
This Trek is suitable for people from all walks of life, ages, and fitness levels.
Accommodation and Meals
The Mardi Himal is a tea house trek. You will get places to eat, rest, and sleep along the trails.
Most of the tea houses provide basic facilities. You will have a plain bed with mattress, sheet, and a blanket.
The basic menu for food includes the simple and healthy local meals. This can include dal, bhat, tarkari (steamed rice, lentils and seasonal vegetables), mo:mo (steamed dumplings), noodles.
The choice of drinks will have tea, coffee, hot and cold flavored drinks.
Clothing and Equipment
The packing list for clothing and equipment depends on the season you are doing the Mardi Himal 5 day trek. The basic list should include the following.
- Hiking Boots (preferably worn in)
- Jacket (one wind cheater and a nice fleece for the cold nights)
- Trekking pants and shorts
- Trekking shirt
- Trekking sandals (great for relaxing in the tea house)
- Sun glasses
- Wide brimmed hat (great for protecting your head, face from the sun)
- Toiletries (hand sanitizer, tissue paper, towel, tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, female hygiene products, sunscreen lotion, soap)
- Trekking poles (great for the descent, balance)
- A good sturdy backpack and a backpack cover
This list includes only the basic necessities. You are free to add or modify the list to suit your needs.
Extra Tips on your 5 Days Mardi Himal Trek
- Carry enough cash to last you throughout the trek. This is a newly opened trail. You will hardly find any reliable ATM's or places that accept cards.
- If time is not a factor, feel free to explore the beautiful and quaint little villages along the trails. Let someone (your guide) know in advance for safety.
- This trek is flexible. You can add different routes, trekking destinations, duration to your trek.
- Stick to your own pace. Do not rush.
- Always stay hydrated. While enjoying the beautiful energy of your trek, this can slip your mind.
The Mardi Himal 5 day trek is a newly opened trekking route. It is one of the best destinations to avoid the crowds of the popular trekking routes.
It is perfect for those of you wishing to trek in Nepal yet have short time. It is a great alternative for an affordable trek as well.
If you want to arrange trips or treks to Mardi or any other destinations in Nepal, feel free to contact us. Mardi Himal 5 day trek is doable by anyone throughout the year. It is a short trek that entails everything a trek to Nepal should.
You can Explore our website for more information on the best short treks, long duration treks and tours in Nepal.