- Enjoy the panoramic mountain view of Langtang, Gauri Shankar, and Jugal ranges
- Visit the valley’s most popular hill stations; Nagarkot and Sankhu
- Get a glimpse of the sunrise and sunset from the hilltop of Nagarkot
- Visit Changunarayan: the ancient Hindu temple with a spectacular monument and rich in architecture and history.
- Relish the local culture, traditions, and lifestyle of Newar and Tamang community.
Sankhu Nagarkot Changunarayan trek is a popular hiking place around the outskirts of the Kathmandu Valley. The hike offers a panoramic view of the Himalayas, authentic culture, and lifestyle of the Newar and Buddhist communities.
The major highlight of this adventurous trek is that you will get to see the sunrise and sunset view at Nagarkot. Here, you can also enjoy the majestic view of mountains like Ganesh, Langtang and Jugal Himal.
The 2-days short hike is an easy trip to enjoy that is a quick getaway from Kathmandu. Likewise, even those with families or children and average physical shape can also do the walk on this trail.
On the trails from Sankhu to Nagarkot, you mingle with cultural experiences and walk beautiful, lush green woodland. Whereas, the hike from Nagarkot to Changunarayan gives you a close encounter with the cultural and traditional aspects.
You don't need prior experience to complete this trek. This short trek is also an ideal family trip and one you can enjoy with close friends as well.
We begin the trip from Kathmandu and drive across the hills to the northeast of the valley to Sankhu.
You can experience the lifestyle and culture of the Newari community here. We then proceed with the hike to Nagarkot. It takes 4 hours from Sankhu to get to Nagarkot.
On this trail, you go through scattered farmlands, villages, and forests as you walk uphill towards Nagarkot. Upon reaching Nagarkot, we head towards the View Tower.
You get to see the beauty of the sunset from the View Tower. From this point, you can also see a magnificent view of Mt. Everest. You can also enjoy the vista of mountains like Langtang, Jugal, and Ganesh.
The next morning, we start towards Changunarayan. You go through dense forests, all the while with a superb view of the mountains cheering you on. You can also enjoy the local lifestyle of the villages that we cross on our way.
Changunarayan Temple is among the seven listed World Heritage Sites in Nepal. Changunarayan is also the oldest temple in Nepal.
Here, you can explore the temple premise and enjoy the view of the entire valley. Also, the temples and shrines reflect the religious values and cultural aspects of the valley. After an excursion of Changunarayan, we will head back to Kathmandu.
What is Included
- 2 Lunch 1 dinner and 1 breakfast.
- 1 night Nagarkot Hotel Viewpoint full board.
- Nagarkot entry permits.
- Private transport to Shankhu and back to Kathmandu from Changunarayan.
- A highly experienced, helpful, knowledgeable, friendly English speaking well trained, Government license holder guide with all his Salary, Food, Drinks, Accommodation, Transport, and Insurance.
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Government taxes and official expenses.
What is Excluded
- Airport pick up and drop by private vehicle.
- Meals and accommodation whilst you are in Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa fee $30 USD for 15 days visa on arrival.
- Your Travel Insurance.
- International airfare.
- Your personal expenses.
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic and all hot and cold drinks.
- Tips for the guide and driver (Tipping is expected).
- Changunarayan and Bhaktapur entrance fee $18 USD per person if you visit them.
The difficulty level of trekking from Sankhu to Nagarkot is moderate. This hike is ideal for all travelers due to its easy trails and minimal risks during the journey. You will experience light walking and novice level hiking only. You will go down some steep paths, so carry trekking poles to take the pressure off your knees. This route is an excellent trek for beginners who wish to go for long trekking such as Everest Base Camp or Annapurna Base Camp.
Packing for a two-day trek will depend on the season and weather conditions that you choose to trek. Generally, you have an idea about what you should pack according to the weather condition. Usually, for the 2-day trek to Sankhu-Nagarkot, you will need to pack like trousers, sunglasses, water bottles, extra socks, hiking poles, full or half sleeve tops, light waterproof jacket, etc.
The best time for a Sankhu Nagarkot Changunaraayan trek is throughout the year. But, we recommend hiking during the spring and autumn season. These seasons are ideal because of the moderate temperatures and stable weather conditions. Similarly, the autumn months of September-November offer clear blue skies and cold temperatures. It can be perfect for enjoying the sceneries and mountain views during the walks.
There are several kinds of accommodation choices available for this 2-day trek, such as a stay in 3-4 star hotels or resorts, basic accommodation, and fancier accommodation. Most will have options for basic accommodation that provide you basic rooms on a twin sharing basis. It all depends on which package you want to choose for yourself. But, we will make sure to provide you the best accommodation service that we have.
There are different means of transportation available to start and end the trek. If you are trekking in groups, then it is better to take jeeps, vans, and tourist buses. Even if you are traveling alone, you can choose tourist buses or jeeps and this way it will be quite cheaper for you.